Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Express 3500 ABS hydraulic control unit

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2013, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Express 3500 ABS hydraulic control unit

I am not getting brake fluid to my front right caliper from the ABS hydraulic control unit. It has four selonoid valves, one for each wheel, and I'm wondering if the solenoid is stuck closed or if the sensor is damaged and keeping the valve from opening.

The reason I say this is that I was hearing a kind of intermittent thumping/clicking sound from the front right tire which is the one not getting fluid and then the thumping stopped but the brake quit working on that tire.

The other thing that may have triggered it, is that I was driving in heavy rain and hit some big puddles at high speed, and that is when it stopped working. I thougt that the brakes had just got wet at first and so the left front was grabbing. But the right front never started grabbing again so I did the diagnosis and found no fluid getting to the rubber hose from the ABS hydraulic module. I read that rain slickened roads actuate the ABS system more and this is when the selonoid valve may have shut to keep from locking when I was going down a grade in heavy rain. It may not have returned open.

I spoke with a chevy mechanic on askchevy.com and he said that there has been allot of trouble with the ABS hydraulic box and those valves in there and that I would probably have to change the whole hydraulic module.

Anybody have anything for me on this? Much appreciated, while I go check sensor.

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by daplumma; August 20th, 2013 at 8:44 PM.
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the honor to research a SAAB ABS controller and found on line the video and problem with that unit. They had aluminum paired wires that had broke free from a bridge to board connection. Micro surgery with a 20x eye loop required.
I would take a few hours to research google, youtube etc. for this answer.

Jim