Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Express LT: Strange Eletrical issues

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2016, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Express LT: Strange Eletrical issues

We are having some strange electrical issues that may be common to 2001 Express Vans.

1. Drivers side window randomly quits working, suddenly works again
  2. Radio volume decreases as one uses the brakes and stops
  3. Random transmission forward gear issue, put it into reverse and all works
  4. Non-Start. Wait a bit, press gas pedal once, move around in seat and has started.
  5. Horn does not work with the keyfob
I have not found any broken ground straps.

Please let me know about this issue.
Appreciated
Old June 7th, 2016, 5:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my 2002 ls drivers window not move when I rolled it down at the drive thru window.....in the rain...lol. I moved the passenger side and then the drivers worked again.....I have not been able to recreate the issue since.
Could be a faulty window switch....or just dirty inside...

Radio volume should not do that.....there was no speed control option that long ago...
Maybe there is a short in the brake light circuit....have a look at the bulbs the filaments, the grounds, and of course check the ground of the radio, and all the fuses.

Any tranny issue needs to be taken to a tranny shop asap. Some issues you can drive with and live with without further damage. Other issues will increase the damage to the tranny and could cost you more $$$ to fix. Get it road tested asap. Any good tranny shop will put the code reader on it as well. Which may help to find these other gremlins.

Non start.....how so? No crank, crank but fires and sputters but dies, crank but no fire at all....?

Horn chirping when you lock the doors you mean? Check the owners manual to see if that can be turned off and on. On aftermarket alarms you can switch that. On my 2013.....you have to lock it twice for the chirp. First press locks...second chirps.

Hope some of this helps.
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No start:

Engine cranks, we get a message to check the gauges (strange).
A check engine code that we have is cleared when it finally does start.
Acts like it started, but did not.
Does not sputter.
Next time press gas pedal once to the floor, then try to start it, usually does the trick the first or second try.

Drivers side window:

Passenger side does not have a control for the drivers side window.
Have pulled the drivers side window control up out of the door and it looks clean and fine. Sometimes it works perfect, but using it one is always taking a chance. It has always gone up in the end, sometimes after driving a bit and others are just leaving it and coming back another time, turning the van on and trying the switch.

Transmission has been strange, Asked a transmission shop and they have never hear of such a thing plus it does not always have the problem does not matter how it was driven before the issue (taken notes). Did not happen at the transmission shop. Sometimes may not happen for days and many miles. When it happens, shifting into reverse and letting off the brake always cures the issue (never touching the gas pedal).

Last edited by Salto_jorge; June 7th, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old June 11th, 2016, 8:37 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I had my 2002 ls drivers window not move when I rolled it down at the drive thru window.....in the rain...lol. I moved the passenger side and then the drivers worked again.....I have not been able to recreate the issue since.
Could be a faulty window switch....or just dirty inside...

Radio volume should not do that.....there was no speed control option that long ago...
The 2001 Express Van LT radio did have a speed volume control. Mine does and it works. Here is a copy of the owner's manual describing it. I can't help with the other electrical issues, as my 2001 LT doesn't have any that I have had to correct yet.