Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 chevy express hesitation

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2007, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 chevy express hesitation

drive a 2002 chevy express van 1500 The Problem Is In Passing on the Highway.it hesitates and Surges when first Accelerating But Straightens Out & Runs Fine If You accelerate through it.
Replaced Distributer Because top bushing was Bad But Problem is still There.
Any Help Appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Professional Mechanic

Default RE: 2002 chevy express hesitation

How many miles on vehicle? How many on fuel pump? Any check engine lights on? How does it idle... catalytic converter or EGR valve. How old is the air filter? Any other issues with the van?
I need a little more info to give more advice.
Old August 29th, 2014, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Van Hesitates When Cold

I took my Express 1500 (2000) conversion van to the mechanic (5.7l engine) because it hesitates when it is cold and then runs ok. They said the distributor was bad and charged me over $600 to replace the distributor. I took it back the next day because the service engine soon light was coming on. I get it home tonight and it still hesitates. Vacuum leak?

I have another problem also. 2 years ago the oil pressure gauge started dropping to zero pressure when idling. It would kick on the check gauges light. They claim they replaced the oil pressure switch. It would show about 40 psi when cold and drop down to a steady 20 after that. Took it back again twice this week and they claim they fixed it but it still does it. Now they say they think it is the oil pump. Thoughts?

On top of all that now I have no lights front or back or dash or interior. Checked all the fuses and they are fine.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 96 express 1500 4.3.had a intake manifold gasket done ,plugs,wires,distributer,computer,rear axle,maf sensor,and now when I leave from a stop it hesitates and sputters.once I get going it's perfectly fine.and once I stop it's hard to restart.after a few hours it starts fine.also from a stop when I release the brake the speedo will jump until I start going.any suggestions appreciated.thanks in advance