Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 3500 Express Speedometer/shifting/ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2016, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 3500 Express Speedometer/shifting/ABS issue

Hello,
First post here, but not new to the whole forum deal. Anyway, I'm trying to help my old man diagnose some issues with his work van and they've got us both stumped. The van is a 2004 3500 Express with the 6.0 motor. Its got 320,000 miles on (as far as we know) the original drive train. Ran fairly well up until a week or so ago. The ABS light started coming on, the speedometer was very sporadic, and it wouldn't run through shift through all the gears. Also seemed to have a loss of power. Did a little research, and ended up replacing both front ABS sensors and the VSS along with a few other maintenance things (drivers side ball joints and passenger side hub assembly). Didn't seem to make any difference, and we're not sure where to go next. Should we try replacing the rear ABS sensors? Any other ideas on what could cause these symptoms? GEM issue? Transmission issue? Some other obscure sensor that I don't know of?
Old September 25th, 2016, 1:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how are you diagnosing, do you have a code reader? what codes are present?
Old September 25th, 2016, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
how are you diagnosing, do you have a code reader? what codes are present?
It is throwing a pair of codes. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but one was a fuel delivery issue and the other was an emissions issue. The result was a misfire at idle. It was throwing these codes before this latest round of symptoms appeared, although I spose that doesn't mean they are unrelated.
Old September 25th, 2016, 8:22 PM
CF Veteran

Please post the codes....so many things are connected and faulty sensors can cause multiple issues.
Old September 29th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmyspy
Hello,
First post here, but not new to the whole forum deal. Anyway, I'm trying to help my old man diagnose some issues with his work van and they've got us both stumped. The van is a 2004 3500 Express with the 6.0 motor. Its got 320,000 miles on (as far as we know) the original drive train. Ran fairly well up until a week or so ago. The ABS light started coming on, the speedometer was very sporadic, and it wouldn't run through shift through all the gears. Also seemed to have a loss of power. Did a little research, and ended up replacing both front ABS sensors and the VSS along with a few other maintenance things (drivers side ball joints and passenger side hub assembly). Didn't seem to make any difference, and we're not sure where to go next. Should we try replacing the rear ABS sensors? Any other ideas on what could cause these symptoms? GEM issue? Transmission issue? Some other obscure sensor that I don't know of?
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and want to offer assistance if possible. Has the cluster been looked at before? Though there are many things that could be going on and it is impossible to diagnose without testing the cluster, there could be issues going on with the cluster and gauges etc.

If you are interested, we have a diagnostics service available:

Gauge Cluster, Speedometer, Lexus SC300 SC400 ECU Diagnosis Repair Service

Once the diagnostics are run, we contact you with what we find and estimates for repair. If it is not repairable, we help locate a replacement and can program the correct mileage into the cluster as well.

Give us a call with any questions. We are happy to help out and have a fast turn around time as well!

Thanks,
Old October 12th, 2016, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Please post the codes....so many things are connected and faulty sensors can cause multiple issues.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Hooked the can back up to a code reader tonight and got a laundry list of codes; P0200 Injector circuit (X2), P0300 random misfire detected (X2), P0455 EVAP system leak detected (X2), and a P0449 EVAP system vent control circuit intermittent.

Also drove the the van a bit tonight. Has noticeable misfire, but most concerning symptoms are the erratic speedometer, not shifting past 3rd gear, and the random ABS pulsating. ABS and brake lights come on and off while driving
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

start with the evap issues.
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

start with the evap issues.

Any suggestions on likely culprits for the EVAP issues?
Old October 13th, 2016, 9:33 AM
CF Veteran

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0445

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0449