Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 Express 3500 - Should I get It?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2015, 12:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
You can do the coolant reservior easy, and there is a youtube vid online that show how to change the solenoid.....only a screwdriver and pliers needed.....How much for just the parts from a parts store...not the dealer...lol. (you would need the code cleared after though...)
Turned out to be a shorted wire behind the doghouse that was rubbed through by the rocker arm that as causing the check engine light to come on. They replaced that wire in addition to replacing the purge valve solenoid and replaced the coolant reservoir.
Total = $521.68 with tax.

I'm just glad it's fixed right and the problem resolved. I don't like dealing with coolant, I hate even doing coolant flushes on my motorcycles let alone a van.
All in all, I spent about $1500 for all of the maintenance and getting the van up to par. I only paid $3600, $3700 with tax. So I was expecting to make some repairs. The bluebook value on the van is $4700. So really, I only spent about $500 over blue book value for the van, still a good value. If I were to buy this van off a lot I can guarantee you it would probably have been $5k-$6k+, especially being that this van is a 3500 (V8) which is highly sough after. 1 owner, clean car fax with no accidents and religious maintenance performed on the van is a big selling point.

So all in all, I'm happy. PS. I won't sue that last mechanic because he did put in a new coil at no charge, the dealer checked and said it was new.

Last edited by street; May 16th, 2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 16th, 2015, 2:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, at least its done and dusted. Now you can just do the fun stuff like stereo upgrade and some nice mags....lol
Old May 16th, 2015, 3:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Well, at least its done and dusted. Now you can just do the fun stuff like stereo upgrade and some nice mags....lol
Exactly! The other day I did a full detail and really cleaned the van up, it's amazing what magic eraser can do. Next up, clean up the interior and prepare it for insulation and putting in the flooring in. Future mods: custom fold down bed, sink, small microwave and solar power. Later on I'll be adding a double din dvd head unit, new speakers and add a back-up camera. Time for the bug-out build!