Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 Auto Headlight Switch

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2015, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Auto Headlight Switch

Canadian built. Switch looks like any other switch in current model vehicles. In daylight, and when switch is in the auto position, I get running(parking) lights. When dark, I have to manually move switch to the headlight position. Bad switch? Sensor? The way it is? Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2015, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Daytime running lights? There will be a module in the fuse block that controls the daytime running lights, not the headlight switch. The running lights should come on as soon as you release the parking brake.
Good idea at first. But now people rely on them too much, and I see idiots driving in the dusk, or fog with just the DRL on, and no rear lights......Now they are making cars with brake assist.....in case you are too stupid to watch what you are doing lol.
Old November 15th, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

The only exterior lights I get at start up are the orange turn signal lights, tail lights, and side markers. When headlights are needed, I have to manually switch them on. I have a 2003 Buick LaSabre, and a 2005 TrailBlazer that have the same markings on the headlight switch as the van in question. I never have an issue with either of those vehicles lighting options. The manual doesn't really address my issue. Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2015, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

So, I just went out, in the dark, to try and fully understand what is happening. Of course, when in the switch is in the off position I have no lights. In the DRL position, I have bright, almost double bulb bright, orange turn signal lighting, but no headlights. In the parking light position I get a dimmer turn signal light(parking). To get any headlights, I must switch to headlight position. My confusion is that on my other GM vehicles, I get automatic headlights when it gets dark. I guess this van isn't equipped the same as my others?
Old November 15th, 2015, 6:18 PM
CF Junior Member

my 2001 Blazer has a problem with the headlights being on all the time when it is dark. I wish I could shut them down sometimes.
Old November 15th, 2015, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Did you have the parking brake on or off during that test?
Sometimes the DRL module can fail....
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:21 AM
CF Junior Member

when the parking brake is on the headlights are off.
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Not sure who you are answering now, Canucklehead. My testing was done on my Canadian built 2005 Express van, with the parking brake on, and shifted into gear. I am duplicating, and expecting the same results as from my other GM product, which is, it's dark out, switch is in the auto position, start car, headlights on automatically. Maybe this truck isn't equipped that way. It's what I'm trying to find out. Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2015, 1:44 AM
CF Veteran

My comment about the parking brake was because in my van you have to release the brake for the daytime headlights to come on. But mine is a 2002 and does not have an auto feature on the headlight switch.
According to the 2005 owners manual yours does not either. Here is a link. Check page 123/124 on the pdf. It shows how the headlight switch is set up.....

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...et-Express.pdf
Old November 22nd, 2015, 6:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the way it is. the amber running lights come on all the time (unless you turn them off). You have to manually turn on the headlights. There are no automatic headlights.

Last edited by tsbrewers; November 22nd, 2015 at 6:38 PM.