Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
View Poll Results: Is smoking bad for you
No, it breeds intellect
0%
Yes, duh
100.00%
I'm not answering that
0%
It's a vitamin
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

2008 chevy express 3500, tow trailer package missing

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2014, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 chevy express 3500, tow trailer package missing

I just got a new camper and am taking it over the passes behind my van, I'm thinking I'm gonna need my trailer brakes working, I've spliced into my tail lights to get my 7 pin connector temporarily working, I bought the oem part from Hopkins for the brake controller, I can't find where to plug it in, not sure it would do any good anyhow since I spliced into my tail lights, there is no prewired wiring in hidden compartment under rear drivers side. How do I hook it up?
Old June 20th, 2014, 5:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your trailer has brakes it should not be pulled with the brakes non functional, for safety. Brake controllers are not difficult to wire below is a link to a installation video from etrailer. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2006 Chevrolet Express Van Video | etrailer.com
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Not all vans have the wiring for the plug in adapter. I hardwired it on my 2010. It's kind of a pain. I Picked up 12v directly from the battery and ran it to the controller. You need a brake signal. Coming off the brake switch there is a 4-way connector near the steering column. You need to find the wire that goes from 0v to 12v when the brake pedal is pushed. Run this to the controller. From the controller you need to take the white wire and ground it. You need to take the blue wire to the rear of the van to the plug. The controller does not need a switched power source. It has a very minor draw in sleep mode.

Last edited by DougE; June 20th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old June 21st, 2014, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

You can grab power at the distribution box under the driver's seat. Both switched and non-switched.

I installed a GM oem flasher that is listed for LEDs. No matter the light load it will flash at the same rate. The flasher has no fead-back so it does not care if one or all of the light bulbs are burned out.
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:23 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by WaterBoyz
You can grab power at the distribution box under the driver's seat. Both switched and non-switched.

I installed a GM oem flasher that is listed for LEDs. No matter the light load it will flash at the same rate. The flasher has no fead-back so it does not care if one or all of the light bulbs are burned out.
Would you have a part number for that flasher? Not sure if it would work in my 2006, but I have been thinking about replacing a bunch of bulbs with LED's and didn't want to go through the trouble of using the resistor types or what ever.
Old June 28th, 2014, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Paid $30 on ebay in 11/2012.
Well worth it to avoid the load resistors.

I'm considering to replace my lights with LED since I run my 4-ways alot with the engine off. Adding loads negates the energy savings of LEDs.
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:19 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by WaterBoyz
Paid $30 on ebay in 11/2012.
Well worth it to avoid the load resistors.

I'm considering to replace my lights with LED since I run my 4-ways alot with the engine off. Adding loads negates the energy savings of LEDs.

Thank you