Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 Express 3500 sliding door lock electric does not work - manual & key does work

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 Express 3500 sliding door lock electric does not work - manual & key does work

I have a 3500 Express van that the sliding door lock just stopped working.

I have not taken the inside handle cover off to inspect yet.

The remote locks and unlocks all other doors. The side slider makes the clunk sound that makes me think there is power to the servo/motor, and that the servo/motor is probably working?

The interior manual slide lock/unlock functions normal. It seems to move freely. It will lock/unlock the door.

Using a key from the exterior will lock and unlock the door. It seems to work freely too.

Before I remove the handle and the plastic cover on the inside I would like opinion on what to look for. I suspect some type of linkage has broken or come loose from a servo lever??? I am sure someone has seen this and can recommend what steps to take?

Also...does anyone have a good diagram of the parts involved and how they connect?

Thank You!

Last edited by goyakpacking; May 7th, 2015 at 1:29 AM.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try pushing in on the panel the lock sits in as you cycle the power locks......
On my van the slider manual lock, which moves up and down with the power assist, gets stuck once in a while. I just wiggle and push in on it a bit and its fine for a while....
Its as if the manual lock tab is binding as it slides up and down......
It might not be the motor itself.....
Old May 6th, 2015, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Broken Actuator found

Update 5/6/2015. When I opened the door panel up I found the actuator dangling on the wiring harness. Both ears of the actuator were broke off. The ears are still riveted to the lock assembly.

After searching the internet for parts and diagrams I found this side lock is easily broken into by slipping a screw driver under the exterior handle/lock back plate, and wacking the screw driver to push the latch to the rear...unlocking the door. I suspect that is what happened. Breaking off the actuator in the process.

Unfortunately this actuator is not cheap. Even more odd, the fact my broken actuator has a sicker on it with numbers. They don't cross ref to anything with GM. I assume this is some after market part that was replaced somewhere in the past? I am the second owner.

I understand this break-in procedure using a screw driver is so common they sell a kit to install to prevent it. Some type of surrounding metal shield.

My actuator part is on its way from Amazon. Dealer prices are outrageous. I just hope the part I ordered is correct. The GM dealer parts department I called, the guy said he couldn't give me the GM part number, only price. What a shame for them....they may have thought not giving that info would make me buy from them....now they won't get my future service business. They aren't the only dealership in town. Much to be said for someone that is helpful or not. If their price is so non-competitive they resort to this tactic they shouldn't be in business.

Last edited by goyakpacking; May 7th, 2015 at 9:41 AM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know about the breaking in problem with the slider. Good to know. The Express I have now has the swinging doors, the last Express I owned had a slider, the door had been repaired, poorly, before I bought it and I had to resolve a lot of alignment issues. I never had any issues with the lock, but I used silicon lube on the plastic parts of the lock when I had it apart just to maintain it. In a lot of ways I prefer the slider. It's easier to get in and out of in a parking lot. Good luck with your project.
Old May 9th, 2015, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

The replacement job on the actuator is complete. I took a gamble on the part since I couldn't confirm a cross reference with the unhelpful parts guy at my dealer. I ended up purchasing a used one off Amazon for $22 and free shipping. It worked perfect. I used a different process to install it rather than tearing out the whole assembly TOPONAUTIC Outdoor News-Events-Recipes: ACTUATOR Replacement 2010 Chevy Express 3500 Side Sliding Door