Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

6.5L TD to 5.7L to 5.0L swap

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.5L TD to 5.7L to 5.0L swap

Hi everyone, new guy to the forum.

I bought a 98 Chevy Express 2500 with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel and it lasted 3 months before cracking a head. After looking into the motor and repair more, I've pretty much decided to remove it completely and swap to a reg gas engine.

I have access to buy a 97 Salvana 1500 with 5.7L vortec. Now I'm pretty sure I can manage to swap over everything I'd need to make the 5.7L work.... BUT I have a 305 rebuilt waiting to go into something...

If I switch over all the engine associated electrical, what would be necessary to swap out the 5.7 to a 5.0?

Different exhaust manifolds, motor mount locations, motor mounts? Would the driveshaft and tranny mount to the same location?

I'm not afraid to put in the work to get rid of this diesel headache, but just want to see if I can get away with using the 305.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Paul
Old May 10th, 2014, 8:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow what a job.
Be easier to swap in another diesel. The fuel system is different, as is the engine electrical.
What about a used duramax?
Old May 10th, 2014, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on a duramax. No access to one around here and don't really have the cash to buy and ship one. I'm aware of the electrical and fuel changes to be made... I know its gonna be a lot of work as well.... but! Had about enough of the diesel issues
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a company that makes brand new 6.5 diesel crate engines. The military still uses them. What other diesel issue have you had? Its a better motor all the way around as long as you take care of it.

This forum is very helpful... The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.