Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

85 GMC G2500 V8 intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2016, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 GMC G2500 V8 intermittent starting problem

Hey folks, new member here.

I recently acquired an 85 GMC van in which I am using to build an A-Team van. Just last week when I took it to the store, it stalled on me at the traffic light. It started right back up, so I figured no big deal. Then, when I came back out from the store, the van would crank and crank but wouldn't turn over. I looked around but couldn't really see anything out of place. I made sure the choke (as was the problem previously) wasn't stuck but it still wouldn't start.

A couple of days later, I went back to the van just to give it one last shot and it turned over. I drove it home fine and it worked as normal for the next couple of days. (I should mention that I believe the day it died was a tad warmer than it had been in a couple of weeks or so. When I started it back up, it was cooler outside.)

Yesterday, it started up fine in the morning (again it was cool outside) but then after my son's appointment, it wouldn't start again. It had warmed up outside so I figured that was the reason again. I left it and went back to it last night when it was cold again and sure enough, right on.

Anybody have any ideas? One guy i know mentioned that it could be an ignition coil going bad.

Thanks for your help!
John
Old January 14th, 2016, 4:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it have vacuum advance? If so, it might not be working or the mech is stuck inside the dizzy.
Sounds like it needs a full tune up.