Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

88 chevy G20 HELP with mystery leak

Old April 29th, 2015, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 chevy G20 HELP with mystery leak

Ok, so I am having this extremely weird issue. I keep getting coolant in my door steps on our 88 G20. There is NO source for it to get where its at. Tonight I opened up the passenger side door after driving home to investigate and there was a puddle right smack in the middle of the door step with no trail either way leading to anything. It hasn't rained here and the puddle is not flammable and smells a little sweet(coolant) but there is NO reason for it to be there. Last week I had it in both door steps and the sliding door step corner. I do park on an incline at work nose down and I have tired to re create that with jacking the van up over night and do not get any puddles.

My carpet is dry. There is no wet trails that are wet leading to puddles. I am at a loss. I really do not see much coolant loss or huge wet spots but I really need to figure out WTF is going on with my most favorite vehicle ever!!!

I have crawled under while running looking for a spray but nothing. I would appreciate any help from anyone at this point.

Thanks
Old April 29th, 2015, 9:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Heater core is gone, or a hose running to it. Look under the dash on the passenger side. You'll need to fix that quick.
Old April 29th, 2015, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Heater core is gone, or a hose running to it. Look under the dash on the passenger side. You'll need to fix that quick.

I have pulled up carpet under it and there is NO trail leading from it to the door step. Nothing is wet, there is very little loss of coolant over a weeks observation. I have core on order just have to have time to put in but will be irritated if I take the dash apart and that is NOT the source of the puddle. I have had other G vans with bad cores but this doesn't seem to add up. At a loss and pulling hair. Thanks for the advice though.
Old April 29th, 2015, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Is there ANY chance that there is a channel in the body that is allowing the coolant to flow to the bottom of the door and letting it in the step well?
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Just out of curiousity, do you have a rear heater in that van?
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:10 PM
CF Pro Member

I guess it's also not Confirmed that it's coolant. Washer fluid could be sweet too right?
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Just out of curiousity, do you have a rear heater in that van?
Yes, I do and have been over the hoses going to the rear as well as checking for leaks in the interior. I have been under the van while system is under pressure and for the life can not find any leaks. I may plug/by pass both heater cores and see if it still does it but going to need to find a fix before winter this year.

Thanks
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

I guess it's also not Confirmed that it's coolant. Washer fluid could be sweet too right?
Washer res has been empty for a long time due to crack
Old April 30th, 2015, 1:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is coolant the trail could evaporate, leaving only the puddle it makes.....
However what is strange is that any coolant leak inside the van should cause condensation in the windshield......maybe the coolant is leaking to the inside of the heater vent, and that keeps the condensation down as it makes its way to the floor....
Pull the engine cover, and check for wet inside the vent under the dash.....and up along the upper right side.....