Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'91 5.7 V8 - cylinder head removal

Old December 25th, 2015, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '91 5.7 V8 - cylinder head removal

Hello,

As my Vandura fires only 7 of its 8 cylinders, I decided to take heads off and make it work again.

Is it possible to remove those heads with engine inside the van? I mean, I don't want to find out I can't get heads out for clearance, or something.

I hope I don't have to remove the whole engine for the job :-)

Thanks a lot!

P.S.: this is my baby
Old December 25th, 2015, 1:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can. Have you done a compression test? Not firing at all makes me think spark, have you checked the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs/wires?
Old December 25th, 2015, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Yes you can. Have you done a compression test? Not firing at all makes me think spark, have you checked the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs/wires?
hello! thanks for the reply.

I haven't done the compression test as I do not have a gauge for that.

Spark is okay, the gas get into the cylinder, but it just doesn't blow..... enough, probably. No difference with spark plug wire connected or not.

I have already replaced all spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor rotor and cap. Still idles kinda rough and the spark plug gets dirty and wet.
Old December 25th, 2015, 3:02 PM
CF Veteran

Okay. Well the gauge is fairly cheap. I would do the comp test on all 8 and then go ahead with the heads after. Hopefully its just a stuck valve. Not a full rebuild.
Old December 25th, 2015, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

what do you mean, a stuck valve? I do get the meaning of those words, but probably not the right sense in engine talk (sorry, English is my second language).

I guess I could get hands on one gauge, I'll see into that.

I am hoping I can get it working only by removing heads, replacing gaskets and cleaning valves their seats.
Old December 25th, 2015, 4:30 PM
CF Veteran

Stuck valve means that carbon has built up on the valve seat, and the valve does not fully close under the pressure of the valve spring. Then you pump compression into the intake manifold. The only way to fix it is to remove the heads and do a valve job.
Easier to fix than if its worn rings which would be more serious.
Old December 25th, 2015, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

okay, so I've got that right :blink: I'll dig into it tomorrow, I was thinking about doing a compression test with a little bit of a diesel fuel to make sure those piston rings are okay - that should do it, no change - piston rings okay, valve seats bad.

thanks for your help!

Search this Thread