Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

95 G20 Conversion 5.7 and Dexcool

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 G20 Conversion 5.7 and Dexcool

Hey guys

Just bought a 95 G20 conversion with only 60k on. Which means its been sitting for a while. So my mechanic noticed the sludge. He's hosing it out now, which seems like wont get all the goop out. Im supposed to take it for a 10k trip in a few days, and wont have time to make repair on the road as they arise. Should I replace the gunked raiator? OR just clean it out a bit and refill, with Dex or Green stuff? I dont mind investing in a new radiator to get me through the trip. Or should I go for gold and fix the usual gasket issues? Or just refil it and drive it likes its stolen? Thanks guys!
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

is the gunk from a stop leak additive? If you have coolant leaks, fix them. I have no issues with dexcool as long as it changed on time. If its left in the system too long it will become acidic and attack the plastic intake gaskets. New updated oem gaskets are metal.

imo As this vehicle is new to you; I wouldn't go on any long trips until you run this thing for awhile and see how it operates.

if you don't mind having its fixed while on your trip go for it.

Last edited by tech2; July 9th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old July 9th, 2014, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply tech2. Seems like its just from sitting, and having a little air from the usual intake gasket. The leak is so small my mechanic says its fine. I have 3 mechanic buddies all who say they just run a flush out with water and refill with new Dex. all the seals he can see look fine, hoses are fine, just a little clogged up, and were gonna change the thermostat. Water pump is fine, no leaks he can see yet in the radiator. I bought it form a friend who put 10k on it with no problem, so a little cleaning and Ill feel confident.