Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

96 Express Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2015, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Express Starting Problems

Hey guys, new to the forum as I just bought a 1996 Express 1500 Conversion Van. The van is having a starting problem. It takes a couple minutes of trying to start it, for the van to finally come on. Once its on, i can turn it back off and it'll fire right up. If i let it sit for a couple hours or overnight, i have to try for a few times for it to start up. When i put the key into accessory, i hear the fuel pump coming on. It also has a Silencer brand killswitch installed, maybe that's a problem? the van has 167k and by the looks, the P/o didn't exactly take the greatest care of it. I'm hoping it needs a tune up, and not something entirely too serious. If you guys can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated before I end up wasting all my money at the shop!
Old June 29th, 2015, 8:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a weak spark from either worn spark plugs, or also perhaps the dizzy cap and rotor have oxidation on them. You should be using iridium spark plugs, so check one, and clean up the points under the dizzy cap.
Easy to do yourself. you have to pull the engine cover to get to the dizzy, and you get to the spark plugs through the back of the front wheel wells. Pulling a tire makes it easier for sure.
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Squirt some gas or starting fluid into the throttle body before trying to start it. If it starts quickly then you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. You can either change the fuel pump or add a check valve in the fuel line.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From past experience when a vehicle is hard to start after sitting, I would lean towards the fuel system leaking down. Hence the need for time until the fuel rail has enough pressure for the injectors to work. Check the fuel rail pressure with a gauge after shut down and before starting after sitting overnight. Let us know the pressure readings you get.

Guess I'm repeating what old chevy said, I think he is right on.

Last edited by solwav; July 3rd, 2015 at 11:40 AM.