Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Add On Gauges

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2016, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add On Gauges

I just got a 1998 Express 3500 camper conversion. The van has 85,000 miles and runs great. Due to the weight and previous experience with similar vehicles I want to add a tachometer, fuel pressure gauge, and transmission temperature gauge. My question is, where to mount the gauges? Has anyone else on the forum done similar and can share their experiences (pictures?)?

What I would really love is to be able to do an A-Pillar gauge pod mount but have been unable to find anything even after extensive searching online.

Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not much of those aftermarket gauge pod are made for vans.....we get the short end of the stick.
I added a tach to my 2002 express. There is a flat spot on the dash left of the radio. There is square plastic pc where a switch would go. I cut a 2 inch tach into that hole.....watch the aluminum frame behind the dash.....yo want to kee the tach as left as you can. To find the signal wire for the tach, look at the plug on top of the coil. There is a harness with 2 wires, but the plug has spots for 3. The centre unused spot has a rubber plug that you can remove by poppin the clips and taking the back pc off the plug. Its that centre wire that is the pickup for the tach.
Don't know where you would put the other 2.....Unless you fab a small plate that fits a single din stereo and then the gauges can go under the radio....if you can get small enough ones.....
Old March 12th, 2016, 1:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a ScanGuage that plugs into the OBD, Simple. You can monitor up to 4 items at a time and always scan through the menu for others.