Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding a Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2015, 3:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Adding a Tow Hitch

I just bought a new 2015 Savana. I don't believe it has a factory tow package of any kind. I'm planning on buying the Curt Class 5 XD Trailer Hitch 15320. But the wiring confuses me a little. Is there a need for a modulator of any kind in regards to the lights? Should I just buy the Curt Curt Wiring 55540 for Chevrolet Express & GMC Savana?

I'd prefer to have a 5th wire for back up lights but I can't find a plug and play kit. I'm looking to add the capability to tow a 16' cargo trailer. I'm not even sure which receptacle I should be adding, but perhaps I should deal with that when I get the trailer?

Also, Trailer Brakes. Anyone have any suggestions for a controller? Is there any factory wiring present on this van? How would I check? Trailering is new to me, well it's least it's new to my personal requirements.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

usually, these vans have blunt cut harness in place for brake controllers and hitch hook ups. They also have provisions for upfitter options.
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I just bought a new 2015 Savana. I don't believe it has a factory tow package of any kind. I'm planning on buying the Curt Class 5 XD Trailer Hitch 15320. But the wiring confuses me a little. Is there a need for a modulator of any kind in regards to the lights? Should I just buy the Curt Curt Wiring 55540 for Chevrolet Express & GMC Savana?

I'd prefer to have a 5th wire for back up lights but I can't find a plug and play kit. I'm looking to add the capability to tow a 16' cargo trailer. I'm not even sure which receptacle I should be adding, but perhaps I should deal with that when I get the trailer?

Also, Trailer Brakes. Anyone have any suggestions for a controller? Is there any factory wiring present on this van? How would I check? Trailering is new to me, well it's least it's new to my personal requirements.
You're on the right track! The hitch, 15320 and wiring 55540 will fit. The wiring is a direct plug in that will go from your vehicle to the trailer. Here is the installation instructions if you needed to see how to install the wiring: Install Instructions

For a brake controller, it depends on the number of brake systems you have but I've found the most popular is the Primus IQ made by Tekonsha. Here is the link to that: TEKONSHA PRIMUS IQ

Also, if you're unsure where to purchase these items, you can buy them at Hitchweb. I've ordered from them before which is why I recommend them. They offer free shipping and quick delivery. I got my hitch and other accessories in 1 day.

Here is the link to the hitch: Class 4 / 5 Hitch Savana
Here is the link to the wiring: T-Connector for GMC Savanna 1500 / 2500 /

Hope this helps!
Old February 6th, 2015, 4:36 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Tekonsha Primus IQ . It is fantastic. Easy to set up and adjust for various weight loads. The dash mount clip allows mounting without drilling holes in your knee bolster (room may be tight for a g van).
Old February 8th, 2015, 2:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks for the replies. Everything here is exactly what I bought. Just need a ball now, but I'll worry about that when there's a trailer.
Old February 8th, 2015, 5:30 PM
Super Moderator

for the brake controller wiring; did you use the factory provisions or buy the aftermarket stuff?
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Honestly, its been so wet here I haven't even looked under the dash. I just placed the order for everything online today. And I wasn't quite truthful, I ordered everything mentioned here but while I did order a Tenkonsha, I ordered a higher end one than the Primus IQ. Other than the lighting, I didn't order any wiring kits to install the brake controller. I am not in a rush yet, so I figured I'd wait until I was installing to figure out exactly what else I need wiring wise. I'll post back here when I see the factory provisions and what I do with them, if I even have them.

Last edited by dberladyn; February 8th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old February 14th, 2015, 5:07 PM
CF Pro Member

So I mounted the Curt Hitch today. It came with four 3/4" bolts and two 7/8" bolts. The 7/8" bolts are too big for any of the GM frame holes. As per the instructions they are to go into the two foremost holes. I'll have to have the GM frame drilled out to accept them. Disappointing, the hitch seems like a really nice kit. I can't see GM changing a detail on the frame like that.

There are no wires underneath the body for trailer equipment.

Last edited by dberladyn; February 21st, 2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: 7/8" bolts, not 13/16"
Old February 15th, 2015, 8:52 AM
Super Moderator

there probably is a rear junction block for it to plug into. all the other rear end lights plug into it. it should be located just to the left center, under the bumper.
Old February 15th, 2015, 12:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by tech2
there probably is a rear junction block for it to plug into. all the other rear end lights plug into it. it should be located just to the left center, under the bumper.
Thanks for the reply,

The wires for the rear end lights run from the front of the van down the inside of the body, top left corner at the roof. There are wires underneath for my parking sensors and I recall seeing other frame wires for the brake system. I will check again out of curiousity, but I do not have the UY7 Wiring Harness - Truck Trailer HD, so I doubt there's anything there.

Quick Reply: Adding a Tow Hitch