Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

alternator testing

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2014, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator testing

Hi,
I have a 2001 Chevy express 2500. Recently this past week I've had to jump it to start it every time I use it, I imagine it is the alternator. Usually I check the alternators with a volt meter, but this one is jammed way back in there and I cannot get to it easily. I was wondering if I could test it with a new battery? My concern is if the alternator is charging just under where it need to be, would it then take awhile ( more than a day) to drain the new battery making me think it was just a bad battery?
Thanks,
Corey
Old September 17th, 2014, 7:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Load test the battery first. Not likely to be the alternator. Your voltmeter would show less than 13 volts while the engine is running.
My bet is the battery.
Also had to do the starter on my van, and a bad starter is hard on everything.
As for testing, just jump start it, and then put the voltmeter on the battery terminals. you should get 14 or so volts right after starting it......if not, then if all your wiring connections are good, then maybe yes bad alt....but lots to check first.
Old September 18th, 2014, 9:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were it the battery, the charge would slowly drain down while driving until the engine would eventually quit. If running, turn on the headlights and honk the horn. If the alternator is not charging the horn will sound really sick if it honks at all. Just after shutting down from a run, disconnect the ground wire on the battery and check the voltage across the posts. If you have only ~10.5 volts or less you have a bad cell.