Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone ever replace door latch on Express?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever replace door latch on Express?

Driver's side door rattles and leaks road noise on my 2004 Express cutaway. Replaced worn out hinge pins, still not fixed. Got replacement latch, seems like the only way to swap out is to grind off heavy duty rivets, and remove steel panel that holds everything from window winder, to lock and door latch. Must be installed in factory as single unit, and seems like the only to fix is remove as same. No way to get your fingers, or tools inside door stamping to disconnect 4 door latch connections.
Old December 29th, 2014, 6:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you not just adjust the door latch pin? The pin can be moved more into the van to make the door close tighter. Also the weatherstrip could be damaged, which could cause the road noise....
Old December 30th, 2014, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately found that pin only moves less then 1/8", not enough to make a difference, rubber looks perfect on weather strips. Clattering of latch against pin is annoying, in addition to road noise.
Old December 30th, 2014, 6:21 PM
CF Veteran

Is there a little plastic ring around the pin that acts as a buffer so no metal on metal? I have not check my van......just throwing that out there.....
Also is the latch closing fully?
Old December 31st, 2014, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Hadn't thought of that plastic bumper I've had on other vehicles to keep latch/pin from chattering. Regarding lock fully closing, I noticed in examining the new latch I bought, that it goes through 2 positions/clicks, to fully latch. Will look into that. I also decided to take your advice on weatherstipping, ordered all new yesterday, can't hurt, original is 10 years old and might be permanently compressed.
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

The factory has two clicks too. Maybe yours is not fully engaging the next click. That would indicate that maybe the door is adjust too tight on close. Try moving the pin out, and see if you get the full click on close....Also the worn hinge pins could have caused door misalignment......
Good luck.