Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone have know how on removing 80's g fenders

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2012, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have know how on removing 80's g fenders

The drivers fender is bashed in on my van and can get plenty of fenders at the local pull a part but just want to know what I am getting into first. My van is my daily driver so when I do it I need to make it happen relatively quick. I have heard that the fenders don't exactly just unbolt off. Is this true?
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fenders on G-vans are structural.
They're spot-welded to every other panel they touch, including the upper and lower inner fenders, the radiator core support (not the top rail), the lower core support, the firewall, the fender arch (part of the rocker panel), and the A pillars.

Proper removal includes judicious use of a drill; removal of all bolted-on panels and bumper pieces on that corner; removal of the door and hinges; completely removal of the dash, steering column, and everything on that side/corner of the firewall; removal of several trim panels; removal of the carpet; removal of the windshield; removal of the windshield cowl; removal of the hood; and removal of anything in the way under the hood. I know that's a lot easier on a scrap yard vehicle, since you don't care about the vehicle. But, it's still a lot of work (and getting caught breaking/damaging some of those parts may result in being charged for them).

The easiest way to remove one, is to essentially cut that entire corner off the donor. Then, you can carefully remove the excess metal at a better location.

Since I have the engine out of my '86 right now, a few of the core support seams are easier to see, than normal.

Note where the seam comes up across the fender, where the lower valence normally would be, then continues all the way up the lip on the fender.

Spot-welded to every panel it touches, except the upper core support (removed here), and windshield cowl.

Part of the windshield frame, and welded to the firewall.

Welded to both inner fender panels, as well as the fender arch/rocker panel.

It comes down to 3 questions:
How much is your time worth?
Do you have the tools available to do this in a junk yard?
Most pull-a-part yards will charge (at least partially) for the damage done to all the other panels, if you cut this off. Can you find out what that price will be before hand, or will you be screwed?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have know how on removing 80's g fenders-img_3940_1.jpg   Anyone have know how on removing 80's g fenders-img_3941_1.jpg   Anyone have know how on removing 80's g fenders-img_3942_1.jpg   Anyone have know how on removing 80's g fenders-img_3944_1.jpg  

Last edited by Squigie; June 15th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.