Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone have a plow on their Express van?

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2016, 12:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a plow on their Express van?

Hi guys. Just curious if anyone's fabricated a plow on their Express van? I have a 2009 2500 155" currently and I'm thinking of trading it in and ordering a new one with a Quigley conversion and then fabricating It to plow light duty so that I can dump my plow truck and combine two trucks into one. Not to mention I'm really sick of driving in the winter without 4 wheel drive. I'm shopping right now for a 17 2500 155" and I did take a quick peek at the frame on the 17s and I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the pickups so there is no plow mount out there that I'm aware of. I was thinking of seeing if one could be fabricated from an existing Mount? Has anyone tried this?
Old December 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why get a 2500 not a 3500? The only difference is one leaf on the rear spring but the payload capacity goes up like 1000 lbs. Isn't it well worth it.
Old December 14th, 2016, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can only speak for myself and I can not recall seeing a full size van will a plow. That being said there seems to be no reason you could not fabricate the hardware to mount the plow, a Quigley van certainly would have no problem with traction but you could have other concerns after mounting a plow.

A thought which crossed my mind regarding using a full size van for plowing is these vans are heavily weight biased toward the front in stock form, mounting a plow seems like you would be torturing stock front suspension components. What is your take on adding that additional weight and it's effect on the handling, braking, and durability as it will not be similar to a PU.

Last edited by solwav; December 14th, 2016 at 9:06 AM.
Old December 17th, 2016, 1:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been finding out recently how awesome my 2013 awd savana is in the snow. I have had a hard time to get any of the wheels to spin.....
The awd system is lighter duty than a full transfer case, plus its a half ton, but if the load of pushing a plow is no more than say the cargo capacity of the van, then it should be fine....and way cheaper than a quigly....
Old December 25th, 2016, 11:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Artie1
Why get a 2500 not a 3500? The only difference is one leaf on the rear spring but the payload capacity goes up like 1000 lbs. Isn't it well worth it.
well for starters I never really haul heavy payload.... MAYBE 2000 pounds and that would be a lot for me and secondly for what they upcharge for the 3500 I can change a set of springs in a few minutes much cheaper

Last edited by expressvanman; December 25th, 2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old December 25th, 2016, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by solwav
Can only speak for myself and I can not recall seeing a full size van will a plow. That being said there seems to be no reason you could not fabricate the hardware to mount the plow, a Quigley van certainly would have no problem with traction but you could have other concerns after mounting a plow.

A thought which crossed my mind regarding using a full size van for plowing is these vans are heavily weight biased toward the front in stock form, mounting a plow seems like you would be torturing stock front suspension components. What is your take on adding that additional weight and it's effect on the handling, braking, and durability as it will not be similar to a PU.
well, currently I have a full size Western on a 2 door 99 Tahoe which of course is a 1500 chassis. Not an ideal plow truck by any means but what I do like about it is the short wheelbase and very easy to maneuver for my shop lot and home driveway. I also have a rental property that's a small 2 car driveway that I just backdrag and I'm done. I generally do not keep the plow on all the time. I put it on and take it off. If that little 1500 chassis has been able to withstand the four or five years I've had the plow on it, the 2500 front end should do just fine for what I do. I don't plow commercially by any means I just need a plow for my personal stuff and I'm tired of having a van and a plow truck. My thinking was since my 09 just flipped 110000 my Tahoe is starting to rot out big-time I would just dump them off and combine two trucks into one. Plus I need to write off for my business AND I hate my van in the winter without 4 wheel drive. I much prefer driving the Tahoe in the snow
Old December 25th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have never seen one on a van.
One thing to consider...get a van that has front torsion bars instead of coil springs. You will need to reset ride height after the plow installation...especially if you buy a heavy plow.
Old December 25th, 2016, 11:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I have been finding out recently how awesome my 2013 awd savana is in the snow. I have had a hard time to get any of the wheels to spin.....
The awd system is lighter duty than a full transfer case, plus its a half ton, but if the load of pushing a plow is no more than say the cargo capacity of the van, then it should be fine....and way cheaper than a quigly....
I know they were offering the all wheel drives in the 1500 chassis but I'm not sure they even do anymore. Plus I think it would be too light duty. A 1500 chassis with a plow..... I've been down this road with my Tahoe and it just don't cut it. It really needs to be at least a 2500... my Tahoe is hurting with a plow on it... plus I need to write off so I don't care about the Quigley cost

Last edited by expressvanman; December 25th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old December 25th, 2016, 11:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
have never seen one on a van.
One thing to consider...get a van that has front torsion bars instead of coil springs. You will need to reset ride height after the plow installation...especially if you buy a heavy plow.
no such thing. Chevys are all coil springs. I thought of going with a lighter plow then the full size 8 foot steel I have now. I see coil spring trucks with plows on them fairly often around here. Not ideal but if you set them up they're fine. And as mentioned this is going to come on and off.... I won't leave it on all winter. The new stuff is so easy to take on and off
Old December 25th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

no, they use both. some use the same set-up as the pick ups...I know, I worked for a chevy dealer for 10 years and have seen them.