Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

brake fluid capacity?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2013, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default brake fluid capacity?

I've checked my repair manuals, owner's manual, the Net and do not find anything.

Is the brake fluid system capacity a secret?

Has anyone replaced their brake fluid and know how much was needed to fill the system back up?

Thank you
Old November 8th, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You fill the master cylinder, and then start bleeding. Make sure that with each press of the brake pedal, you don't run out of fluid in the ms or you have to bleed all over from scratch. Once you have finished bleeding all four corners, you just top up the ms to the full level.
As for how much fluid to purchase. Not sure. Buy a few pints, and you can return what you don't open.
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

depends if you have the hydroboost system or vacuum booster as they have different size reservoirs.

if you have the hydroboost system you will need 2liters. suck out the old fluid from the reservoir then add new fluid....this will take close to 1liter. I would use the 2nd liter to bleed the system at each bleeder screw. If your brake lining and rotors are all new; top the system up to the full mark. if the linings and rotors have wear, top up to a slightly lower level.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 2:44 PM
CF Active Member

Default Brake bleeder valve wrench size?

I checked the size of the bleeder valve "nut" before starting work and find that it is 10 mm with a gauge but a 10 mm wrench is not tight on it. 10 mm is not close to any english standard wrench size I am familiar with.

I certainly wouldn't want to round off the nut if they are on tight.

Has anyone bleed their breaks and know what size the bleeder valve "nut" is supposed to be?
Old August 4th, 2015, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

Default Damaged Brake Bleed Valves ... Brake Fluid color

After the fact:
A 10mm wrench was the least of my problems.

Working my way around the van - pass. rear, driver rear, pass. front ... I find both the front bleed valves are gnarled and seized.

Weeks of intermittent application of PBBlaster and patience with vice grip pliers, a blow torch and some heat protection on the flexible brake line got them off.
----------------------
NOW -
I have run two quarts of brake fluid through the lines and it is still coming out tinted.

The fluid that was in the lines was the color of black tea. Given how bad the front bleed valves were chewed up I would like to assume the brake fluid was changed at 30k ... and can accept that that may be wishful thinking.

I suspect not only contaminated fluid but corrosion of the lines.

Does anyone have experience with flushing brakes that can tell me tinted is as close to clean as it gets ...
OR
that since the fluid was so dirty it is recommended to flush the lines again in some number of months or miles?
Attached Thumbnails brake fluid capacity?-p8010719.jpg