Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Brand new 4.3 TBI with very low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2015, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new 4.3 TBI with very low oil pressure

I completely rebuilt the 4.3 in my 1993 G10 Van. It has 3 miles on it at this point and runs like a top, but only has 22 psi oil pressure at cold startup and about 5-8 psi when warm. At first I thought the gauge was bad, so I installed a mechanical gauge. It reads the same.
I used Plastigage to check my clearances when I installed the new rod & crank bearings, so I feel pretty confident that those are ok. The oil pickup tube was installed with a 3/8" clearance to the pan. I replaced the oil filter today just in case it was clogged with Vaseline or assembly lube, but my low pressure remains the same!
Does anybody have any great ideas (or past experiences) as to why my BRAND NEW 4.3 would have such dangerously low oil pressure?
Thank you to everyone in advance!
Old November 9th, 2015, 9:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oil pump bad, clogged etc?
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

chevy 4.3 no oil through lifters Page1 - Chevy High Performance Forums at Super Chevy Magazine
Old November 12th, 2015, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding! Im sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Dropping the pan & checking the oil pump/intake screen is the next step. I didn't think to check the lifters, so thank you for that.
I'll keep ya posted.