Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Can I convert my van to a pick-up or flatbed?

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2015, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I convert my van to a pick-up or flatbed?

I have a 1997 Savana 1500 cargo van. It has been great as a van, but my needs have changed and I would rather have a flatbed truck now. Since the resale value is only about $2,000 at this point, and the van is still in good shape, I have wondered about cutting off the body behind the cab and converting it to a flatbed. Is this feasible? Safe? The construction appears to be body-on-frame, rather than unibody, but perhaps the frame still depends on the body for some strength(?). I don't want to do an unsafe hack job. Has anyone here made this conversion?
Old September 8th, 2015, 6:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know the answers, but it's been done before with an Astro/Safari. The Savana's little brother. There's pics online of one converted to a pick up. I can't see any reason that the frame would need the body, especially since they sell these from the factory as a "Cut off" (no body, just cab). Whether the frame is different aside from length on these I don't know. The ones they sell as Cut Offs are usually 3500/4500's, not 1500's. But is that just suspension, or is it a stronger frame?

However, I bet the cab will need something to tie the back together for strength. Or perhaps just a good cab guard on the deck will remedy most of that problem. I think your biggest concern will be insurance and motor vehicle regulations. Oh and lets not forget resale value!

Maybe you'll luck out and increase it's worth? If you do it, please post pics. Even if it's a hack job, I'd like to see.

Last edited by dberladyn; September 8th, 2015 at 6:30 PM.
Old September 8th, 2015, 8:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned above you can get 3550 and 4500 as just chassis cabs. The frames are beefier... but I would speculate that the layout and construction principles are the same. Would be a great deal of fabrication to make a sturdy wall behind the seats and support the roof, doors, etc.
Old September 8th, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a 3500

Lot # : 1106 - 1998 CHEVROLET CUTAWAY VAN G30 W/ 12' FLAT BED 5.7
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

I'm aware of the cutaway and cab-and-chassis versions. As stated, they are 3500 or 4500 models. The weight capacity of my 1500 has been adequate, but I would like to have a flatbed, rather than a van body. The advantage of modifying my own vehicle is that I already know it is in good condition. I had the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago. I may end up buying a cab-and-chassis model, but I am playing around with this conversion idea.
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:45 AM
CF Pro Member

I'd be willing to bet that you're 1500 frame is stronger than a Safari's S10 frame. These guys and more did it, now it's your turn.

The cool thing about this is that you could build your own extended cab to the exact length you want. You'd have to look, but the B-Pillars should be strong on their own, perhaps with some reinforced cross bar along the top. Or even a roll bar of some kind. Just my thoughts, but I know little.

And more available here:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=safar...1B4IdQyoVkM%3A

I am having a hard time believing that this frame is any different.<br/>2014 GMC Savana 3500 Cutaway Van | GM Fleet & Commercial Vehicles

You know I am not sure of the legalities involved, but growing up, my family owned a Trailer Manufacturing shop and a Truck Repair shop. Large trucks, not our little toys. I remember often frames being cut and lengthened or cut and shortened. I suppose it may be a little harder on these frames as they are a not simple "C" in cross section, but none the less, you may be able to do that too.

I just noticed, those buggers get "Power Folding Mirrors"! Must be a typo because I have never seen that yet in any of my research into parts, options and schematics.

Last edited by dberladyn; September 9th, 2015 at 1:08 AM.
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
You'd have to look, but the B-Pillars should be strong on their own, perhaps with some reinforced cross bar along the top. Or even a roll bar of some kind.

I am having a hard time believing that this frame is any different.<br/>2014 GMC Savana 3500 Cutaway Van | GM Fleet & Commercial Vehicles

I remember often frames being cut and lengthened or cut and shortened. I suppose it may be a little harder on these frames as they are a not simple "C" in cross section, but none the less, you may be able to do that too.
I was looking at the pillars on my van and thinking that they looked pretty sturdy. I would think that attaching some 1/8" aluminum sheet across the back, or something like that, would be adequate. (Perhaps with a few ribs.) It would need to be well attached along the edges to be structurally sound.

I think the cab-and-chassis frames are a few inches longer than standard frames, which suggests that there could be other subtle differences, like wall thickness.

I wouldn't lengthen my frame. I don't want the turning radius to get any bigger.
Old September 9th, 2015, 6:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Yeah, I haven't looked at mine, especially since that's the only plastic I haven't been able to remove. I don't have a Torx socket for the seatbelts. At least I think I don't. I used to and I must have lost it. Personally I would think they'd need reinforcement across the body, as your cut off will take away from the extra support they get from the rest of the body.

I still have a hard time believing GM makes different frames. They may, but with the added expense in doing so, I doubt it. I bet you could write them. They do read here and I even think they read up on me from time to time. As soon as I mentioned I was thinking of changing my mind and not going with Onstar, Onstar offered a deal. Co-incidence or... ?? My mind works in strange ways.

Just remember if you write them, they have a legal responsibility to protect themselves. If you can understand that and read through the lines here and there, you should find the answers you want.
Old September 9th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=dberladyn;308208They do read here and I even think they read up on me from time to time. As soon as I mentioned I was thinking of changing my mind and not going with Onstar, Onstar offered a deal. Co-incidence or... ?? My mind works in strange ways.[/QUOTE]

Cookies, bots, and algorithms? I doubt any human is reading your posts and deciding to market anything to you.
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:11 PM
CF Pro Member

Yeah, your probably right, but GM does read these forums. If you take a look around you'll see them on here.

Quick Reply: Can I convert my van to a pick-up or flatbed?