Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

can you update to new style headlights and grill?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully i don't get flamed as this is my very first post. Sorry for resurrecting such a old thread. I just picked up a 2009 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo Van as i do mobile Auto Detailing. One of the first things i noticed was the crappy headlights as they were sealed beamed headlights. I have been searching for a little while prior to actually purchasing the vehicle about how to get rid of them. I have now had the van for about 3 days and i tried searching one last time and stumbled on this thread. Does anyone have a master list of things needed to change the sealed beam headlights out? Maybe websites & part #'s of some sort. I live out in Hawaii and most of our base yards have closed over the years. If anyone maybe has some extra parts floating around that would aid me in doing this swap that would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully i'll get a little help as i'm new to Chevy's. Thanks
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by thedetailguyz
Hopefully i don't get flamed as this is my very first post. Sorry for resurrecting such a old thread. I just picked up a 2009 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo Van as i do mobile Auto Detailing. One of the first things i noticed was the crappy headlights as they were sealed beamed headlights. I have been searching for a little while prior to actually purchasing the vehicle about how to get rid of them. I have now had the van for about 3 days and i tried searching one last time and stumbled on this thread. Does anyone have a master list of things needed to change the sealed beam headlights out? Maybe websites & part #'s of some sort. I live out in Hawaii and most of our base yards have closed over the years. If anyone maybe has some extra parts floating around that would aid me in doing this swap that would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully i'll get a little help as i'm new to Chevy's. Thanks
You have 2 options and I tried them both:

- replace the sealed beams with Hella sealed beam conversions

or

- replace the front end (like I did)

At first I tried the Hella sealed beam conversion kit. It is a housing that directly replaces the sealed beam headlamp except it uses an H4 bulb that come in many different options for output. If you just want to increase output and keep the same grille, this option runs a little over $100 and takes all of 15 min. to do - Hella 200mm H4 Headlamps

I had these for a bit and was very happy with the performance. It was a night vs. day difference. But I wanted the nicer looking front end.

To upgrade to the nicer front end, you'll need:

- the nicer grille
- the composite headlamps
- composite headlamp harness
- assorted fasteners and u-nuts with matching threads

You DO NOT NEED to replace the radiator support. After looking closer, the radiator support you have is the same one GM uses for the composite front end. If you remove everything and look closely, there is a raised outline of where to cut. I outlined the areas to be removed in yellow in the pic below. Fluid lines for the transmission and radiator pass through the support with no good way to deal with them other than disconnecting them entirely. I decided that draining fluids was going to be too much trouble so I got out the Dremel and started cutting. I swapped a few of the clips over but the new grille uses some different attachment points. You'll have to measure and make a trip to a good hardware store and get creative. I didn't record what fasteners I bought but it involved standard threaded fasteners and u-nuts that matched. The spring clips you swap over will hold the grille in place well enough to get a good sense of what you have to do.

Sorry I don't have a formal write-up. It was freezing outside when I did this so pausing to take pics wasn't in the cards. I just wanted to get it done. I do still have the radiator support for the composite headlamps that I'm looking to get rid of. If you want to update your front end and do a complete swap of the support, PM me. However, the shipping may not be worth it to get it from MA to HI.

Name:  IMG_1579.jpg
Views: 16809
Size:  79.8 KB

Here is a better pic. Top with the yellow outline is a sealed beam radiator support. Bottom of the pic is radiator support for composite headlights. Note my outline vs. the area cutout:

Name:  IMG_1834.jpg
Views: 18674
Size:  161.3 KB
Old March 6th, 2012, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply. To bad us didn't have a formal write up but I appreciate the help and photos. So how did you like the h4 conversion? That was my initial plan and then I read some place that people said you needed to change the wiring as the h4 bulb doesn't just plug into the stock harness. I'm glad I found this forum. The composite Headlamps are sweet but being in Hawaii it may not be worth it. The Headlamps aren't a problem it would be sourcing out the grill that would be the hardest.

I may end up doing the h4 conversion for now as the composite lamps suck. There are other brands out there with plastic lenses vs the hella glass ones, what do you think?
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by thedetailguyz
I may end up doing the h4 conversion for now as the composite lamps suck. There are other brands out there with plastic lenses vs the hella glass ones, what do you think?
The H4 conversion I linked above plugged directly into the factory harness so I don't know where the people you have spoken to got their information. I don't recall doing anything to the wiring.

Glass is technically superior for transmitting light but plastic will withstand hits from road debris. Plastic will become UV damaged from the sun (possibly a concern for you in HI) while glass will not. If you are not someone who tailgates in traffic and you're not on roads where the front end takes a beating from sand, stones, etc., the glass will perform best.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by zuren
The H4 conversion I linked above plugged directly into the factory harness so I don't know where the people you have spoken to got their information. I don't recall doing anything to the wiring.

Glass is technically superior for transmitting light but plastic will withstand hits from road debris. Plastic will become UV damaged from the sun (possibly a concern for you in HI) while glass will not. If you are not someone who tailgates in traffic and you're not on roads where the front end takes a beating from sand, stones, etc., the glass will perform best.
Good points. I do headlight restoration myself. Glass would be best. I found a h4 conversion set with bulbs for like $50 for the pair. This may be the best route to go for my situation. Maybe down the road I can slowly source out the parts to make the swap like some of you folks did on here.
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Can this be done on a 2002 Chevy express? I want to upgrade to a 2003 front end Sealed beam or composite headlights Doesn't matter. Just want the updated look. I want this
To look like this
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

koolaid6666,
to Change the 1997-2002 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savanna to the later style 2003-2012 Express/Savanna you will have to change out the radiator, core support, fan shroud, possibly the A/C condensor, both left/right fenders, hood, grill, composite headlights, turn signals, bumper support and bumper. If you can find this stuff used/cheap it may be worth the retrofit but if you van has high miles it may be a better idea to sell the one you have and purchase a new model van...............................
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Zuren

Zuren,
What model Silverado did you light bar fit? I like the look that it added to your van! NICE........................
Originally Posted by zuren
I forgot to close this thread out. The swap was completed earlier this year. The grille was a bit more than quoted above but the light housings were right around $50/ea. The are no salvage yards that are conveniently close and I didn't want to screw with soldering new connectors onto the existing harness, so I bought a new harness through GMPartsDirect.com. Then I did as described above leaving the existing radiator support in the van, using a Dremel to follow the raised outline to make the composite lights fit and buying some speed nuts and stainless hardware to bolt the housings in. I reused some of the connecting hardware from the existing grille. Overall, it wasn't terribly difficult. Now I have a raditor support for composite housings and a sealed beam grille I'm trying to sell without much luck (I had already purchased the support).

Before

After (also showing 1" body lift and Offroad Warehouse light bar [for Silverado] installed)

Old March 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Zuren,
What model year Silverado was the light bar for? I like the way it made your van look! NICE.......
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

I'm going to look for one at the junk yard. My 02 Engine is getting pulled for a rebuilt one so all the front end parts are being pulled off anyway. That's why i was thinking off updating. I have a insulated freezer van so changing Vans Is a costly thing. But i like the updated look. I updated one off my ford van to a newer nose was pretty easy to do.

Last edited by koolaid6666; March 18th, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: can you update to new style headlights and grill?