Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Can't Get Distributor Rotor on #1 position HELP

Old July 10th, 2012, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't Get Distributor Rotor on #1 position HELP

Hi I have a 1992 Chevrolet G20 with a 5.7 liter 350

I had to take off the distributor cap so I could easily work on the fuel line connections under the throttle body injector.

I know the firing order is 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 and I think the 1 position is at 10:00 on the distributor cap, I think though I need to make sure the rotor inside is at the #1 position before I close it and I can't get it to move, here are pictures of my Distributor cap and rotor, please any suggestions on how to move the rotor would be greatly appreciated as I can't seem to get it to move.

Old July 10th, 2012, 7:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Rotor bug will only go on one way, same as the cap. Set the bug (pointer) to the can pin that is #1 with it at tdc compression, then follow the firing order around the cap. I think on chevy it is clockwise, matching each plug wire to the respective cylinder. What might help you (you will need to set the timing anyway) is on the cap base of the distributor is mark a line with a pencil. That will help line up the cap to the rotor bug as you won't be able to see it when installing the cap. Oh sorry, the distributor has a hold down clamp at the base where it goes into the engine, I think a 9/16" wrench, just back off a little, then you should be able to move the distributor. ? I guess you just pulled the wires off without marking them? You may get to pull the plugs, and get #1 on tdc, then follow the procedure I typed.

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 10th, 2012 at 7:24 PM.