Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Cant kill the Code 13 light...

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2016, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cant kill the Code 13 light!?!???

this is a relatively small issue I guess considering all that can go wrong with a vehicle this age but I can't get my check engine light to stay off. I have to drive this old girl 3000 miles in about a month and I'd like to have that light not just staying on the whole trip for obvious reasons.

It is flashing a Code 13 (1 flash, pause, 3 flashes) and only that one code. I have unplugged the battery to reset the PCU after everything I have tried.

The light comes on only after driving it awhile. Usually when I'm up to highway speeds and the engine temp is at the second hash-mark on the gauge (180ish?) is when it pops on. The temp never goes more then a hair past the second mark. Seems like it runs cool or the gauge is broke which wouldnt surprise me since half the the other gauges in the cluster dont work right.

Recently changed the o2 sensor and TPS as the Hayens manual suggested; to no change.

When I first bought the van the light would go off and on randomly and sometimes stay off for days. now it comes on every time I drive it to operating temp and it's the same code. Sometimes it shut off when I have been driving it for awhile but always comes on again...

The engine runs wonderfully (it's the second one it has had), no leaks, of any sort I can find, not losing fluids, oil and coolent staying separate and clean.

Not sure what else to say; I'm sure I forgot a bunch of helpful things to add. just ask and I'll get back asap

1990 g20 v8 conversion van

Last edited by rickyralph; April 16th, 2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old July 7th, 2017, 7:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

although no one here could be bothered for any advice I will offer my solution to this problem for anyone else experiencing the same thing.

I went nuts cleaning as many engine grounds as I could find.

The light, for the most part, has been off for over 6000 + miles. it actually popped on last week for all of 3 seconds (on a 2000 mile trip) and I haven't heard form it again.
I did a code check and it was, again, a code 13.
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyralph
although no one here could be bothered for any advice I will offer my solution to this problem for anyone else experiencing the same thing.

I went nuts cleaning as many engine grounds as I could find.

The light, for the most part, has been off for over 6000 + miles. it actually popped on last week for all of 3 seconds (on a 2000 mile trip) and I haven't heard form it again.
I did a code check and it was, again, a code 13.
Might be no one has an answer. You should have 12 on as well, with key on not running. My suggestion would be contact cleaner on the connector.