Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevrolet express 3500 5.7 starting problems

Old February 2nd, 2015, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet express 3500 5.7 starting problems

Hi!

I buy a express 1997 last week. When I test it, it was running really fine. I buy it and bring it to home. Next day it just clicks, the starter do no crank at all. So I remove battery wires and clean the rust on it. Put it back and it starts fine. Next day, same thing it does not start at all, so i changed the battery and it starts right up. Two days later I try it and it does not start again but this time there is no lights in the truck or dash, like there is no battery completely, no clicks nothing..... But a weird noise coming from the dash like a long beep with strange sizzle noise. When I put the intensity off dash lights a little bit down the noise stops. I don't understand all of this.
Old February 4th, 2015, 9:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad ignition switch? Bad neutral safety switch. Sounds like an intermittent short.
Old February 4th, 2015, 7:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have something draining the battery while the van is off. Is the battery fully charged? Try pulling the fuse for the dash lights, charge it up and see what happens. Could be an alternator problem too.
Old February 5th, 2015, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

thanks a lot for your help!

I put my battery on the battery charger for a complete night and when I come back there was no lights in the truck nothing was working like there is just no battery. I am going to change it i think it is just a defect one....
Old February 5th, 2015, 3:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Just because you have no lights doesn't mean the battery is no good. You need to test the battery. If the battery is good, then you have a wiring problem. Check your cables at the battery and grounds. I think you have a bad ground or a connection is loose. Once that is resolved you need to make sure there isn't a drain on the battery... you can do that with a test light.
Old February 15th, 2015, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hi !

new update: i test the battery and it was no good. I buy a new one and install it. It starts right up! I drive it two times during this day and everything looks nice. Next day same thing I heard just a click and the starter does not crank. I want to clean the wires on the starter but i am not really good and i don't find it..... I know what a starter looks like but I really don't find it. Can you explain me how to find it please.... thanks in advance
Old February 16th, 2015, 9:49 AM
CF Veteran

Something is draining the battery. Charge the new one and see if it starts. When you get just a click, do the headlights work? Will the heater blower go full speed? If not then the battery is dead again. If they do, then it could be the starter, but I'm guessing dead battery.
Old February 18th, 2015, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Hi !
Thanks for your quick reply!
When the truck does not start, the headlights are working and the heater blower runs fine, the radio too, all the accessories worked fine. I test it again next day and it starts right up, but I did not do anything!!! I find that it starts slowly, the motor cranks slowlyyyy. Is it possible it could be a bad ground on starter or rust on positive cable?
Old February 18th, 2015, 9:49 AM
CF Veteran

A slow turning engine is prob the starter motor itself. I had to replace mine for same reason.....Not a hard job at all.
Old February 18th, 2015, 4:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Sounds like you got it narrowed down and Ill agree that it is probably the starter. I'm sure you can find some youtube videos on how to replace. Clean up the cables when you do the job. Let us know how it turns out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevrolet express 3500 5.7 starting problems