Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Clutch Fan Removal (2001 Express 1500 Lt 5.7L)

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fan Removal (2001 Express 1500 Lt 5.7L)

Does anyone have actual experience removing a clutch fan?

Purchased a Lisle #43580 Fan clutch spanner wrench for GM vehicles and the pins do not match the pins in the pulley that this van has.

Have also tried several automotive stores with loaner tools and nothing would fit.

We made a tool using a piece of flat bar with two holes and a cutout between them that we bolted down to the face of the pulley using its bolts like: WILMAR GM FAN CLUTCH WRENCH #W-80498

We have watched several youtube videos but none of them have helped out that much.

The unit has been sprayed and has been soaking for over a day to help break it loose and it will not come off.

We are trying to remove it using the rule of righty tighty (clockwise) , lefty loosy ( counter clockwise)

Holder tools (lots of foul language, at least for me at my age)

Last edited by Salto_jorge; March 13th, 2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old March 13th, 2016, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its reverse thread.......righty loosy.
The meatal bar is the way to go. Just remove the fan blade......drill a hole in the bar, and then run a bolt into it to secure it to the pulley.......once you tart wrenching, the side of the bar will bind up against the pulley, and give you some way of holding the pulley from slipping on the belt.......you will need a pipe wrench for the shaft nut as its huge......clockwise to loosen.
Yes its a bear.
Why are you removing it? Water pump?
They are not cheap to replace....but should last forever.....
Old March 13th, 2016, 4:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took things apart to replace the P/S pump.
With the fan off one can get to the pulley on the P/S pump for the SST puller we borrowed.
Then the bolts for the P/S that are behind the pulley attaching it the the front bracket.

The SST that I made did the job, it was real tight.
My 35 Y/O son had to wrench it off, used a pipe on the SST's 22 inch handle.

Held the one side with a SST and Pipe, son turned the large nut with a spanner counter-clockwise and then spun the clutch fan off.

Next part was the removal and install of the new P/S pump.

Reused the old high pressure since it was not leaking.
Cut the ends off the low pressure hoses to remove the old rubber ends and used new clamps.

Last edited by Salto_jorge; March 13th, 2016 at 4:39 PM.