Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Damaged Brake Bleed Valves ... Brake Fluid color

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Damaged Brake Bleed Valves ... Brake Fluid color

AFTER THE FACT:
The ill fit of a 10mm wrench was the least of my problems.

Working my way around the van - pass. rear, driver rear, pass. front ... I find both the front bleed valves were gnarled and seized.

Weeks of intermittent application of PBBlaster and then angling the back of the wheels out and removing them for access, and then patience with vice grip pliers, a blow torch and some heat protection on the flexible brake line got them off. It seemed that using the torch allowed some PBBlaster deeper into the threads to loosen the bleed valve. Note PBBlaster s flammable.
----------------------
----------------------

NOW -
I have run two quarts of brake fluid through the lines and it is still coming out tinted.

The fluid that was in the lines was the color of black tea. Given how bad the front bleed valves were chewed up I would like to assume the brake fluid was changed at 30k ... and can accept that that may be wishful thinking.

I suspect not only contaminated fluid but corrosion of the lines.

Does anyone have experience with flushing brakes that can tell me tinted is as close to clean as it gets ...
OR
that since the fluid was so dirty it is recommended to flush the lines again in some number of months or miles?
Attached Thumbnails Damaged Brake Bleed Valves ... Brake Fluid color-p8010719.jpg   Damaged Brake Bleed Valves ... Brake Fluid color-p8010723.jpg  

Last edited by tbb2; August 6th, 2015 at 4:41 PM.