Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Dealer damaged my van, do I have any chance at getting them to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2015, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dealer damaged my van, do I have any chance at getting them to fix it?

I was driving my 2012 Chevy Express and the lights got covered up with salt from the road so I wiped them off the next time I stopped. When I was wiping them off I noticed that they moved from side to side quite a bit. I popped the hood and found that the 1-2 of the brackets that hold them in place had been snapped. It looks like someone pushed them down and they snapped. There is no other damage on the front of the vehicle and you cannot even tell they are damaged from the outside.

The only thing I can think of that would have caused this would be someone leaning on them to look into the engine bay. About 3 weeks ago I had the van at the dealership several times because it would periodically not start. Turned out it was a fuel pump, but they had it several times because they couldn't recreate the problem at the dealer.

I'm pretty sure that they broke these brackets, which are part of the one piece mold for the headlight housing. I called them and brought the van over, but they are giving me the runaround and basically denying that they broke them. There's no way I can prove this since it was several weeks ago, but I know nothing has happened to the van that could have caused it besides that and the housings did not move prior to them doing the repairs.

Do I have a leg to stand on or am I screwed?
Old January 29th, 2015, 4:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

There is no way to prove that they did this damage. In 3 weeks anyone could have leaned on the van at a parking lot or anywhere. You have to prove they did it and take them to court. You do not have a leg to stand on!!
Old January 31st, 2015, 1:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Also may have been broken alot longer than you think. If you only noticed it when you wiped them off, who knows when/how it happened. Sorry, don't think it's fair to blame the dealer on this one. (can't believe I said that lol)
Old January 31st, 2015, 2:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you step on them?
Old February 1st, 2015, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have nothing to lose by asking. If you are SURE the dealer caused the damage use the "velvet glove iron fist" approach. ASAP send them a registered letter (SOFTLY WORDED) stating you believe they caused said damage during the service and could they contact you to schedule a time to bring the van by for inspection. Give them 14 days to respond then contact your state Attorney Generals Office with a copy of your letter and cc GMs customer relations. You will get a reply just hope it works out.

Last edited by solwav; February 2nd, 2015 at 8:15 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Solwav, that's a fine idea if you know they broke it, but by breezy's description it sounds like alot of assuming going on here. Don't know how ethical it is to go after a "maybe they did it" - but that's just me!
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, if the service department did not cause the damage it would not be proper to strong arm them to pay, just hoping to solve a complaint.

Tough call!!