Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Delay in throttle

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2013, 5:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Delay in throttle

This is on my new 2013 G3500... When applying the throttle there is a momentary delay, about 1 second, before there is any response.

I realize the newer trucks are electronic throttle and I have driven such before, but this just doesn't feel right. Pulling out into traffic is not very confident. Its like ok press pedal.. wait wait.. then it kicks in and goes. Even more strange is when you are already rolling and goto re-apply the throttle.

So I am asking if anyone else has/had this issue? I would be very disappointed if this is the way it was designed.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From Wiki

The cost of DbW systems is often greater than conventional systems. The extra costs stem from greater complexity, development costs and the redundant elements needed to make the system safe. Failures in the control system could theoretically cause a runaway vehicle, although this is no different from the throttle return spring snapping on a traditional mechanical throttle vehicle. The vehicle could still be stopped by turning the ignition off if this occurred. Another disadvantage is that manufacturers often reduce throttle sensitivity in the low-mid throttle range to make the car easier or safer to control - or to protect the drivetrain (gearbox, clutch, etc.) from driver abuse. The feeling to the driver is that the throttle feels less responsive. There are aftermarket electronic kits to increase throttle sensitivity, to regain a more direct-feeling relationship between pedal position and throttle valve opening.

Sound like more computer crap that is not needed but forced on us anyway to me.
Take out a 20 dollar throttle cable and put in a 1000 dollar dbw system. Stupid.
Old September 11th, 2013, 4:36 PM
CF Senior Member

I can't see how this makes the truck any easier to drive.

Well I was hoping it would be something the dealer could re-program. I had a similar problem on a car and the dealer updated the computer which helped dramatically. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Was also thinking.. over reactive traction control holding back throttle input.

Ill have to look into what the aftermarket has.
Old September 11th, 2013, 6:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Why SprintBooster Works

There we have it, but nothing for vans. Ill have to email them and find out.

Was reading on another GM forum and this is termed "4 second delay". Basically its torque management.

Last edited by greenfire; September 11th, 2013 at 6:24 PM.
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

greenfire,

If you would like some assistance to have your dealership look into your throttle concern, please let us know.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks Erica. In Nov. I will be making an appointment for service and to have this checked out.

Unfortunately this is a GMC, but maybe you could connect me with your GMC counterpart if necessary.

Last edited by greenfire; September 14th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old September 14th, 2013, 1:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

greenfire,

I can still assist you (I work with GMC as well). Whenever you are ready just send us a private message with your name, VIN, address, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership. You can certainly send me your VIN now so I can see if there are any recalls or special coverage's associated with your vehicle.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 22nd, 2013, 5:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
greenfire,

I can still assist you (I work with GMC as well). Whenever you are ready just send us a private message with your name, VIN, address, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership. You can certainly send me your VIN now so I can see if there are any recalls or special coverage's associated with your vehicle.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Sending you a message...