Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Disappointed in GM. why can't I get a van loaded like a pick up?

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2016, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in GM. why can't I get a van loaded like a pick up?

So I'm thinking if ordering my 4th Express. I need a van for my line of work. I buy/sell/restore & service coin operated equipment.... pinball, video games, darts, juke boxes etc.... so I need a van. I burned up three over the course of 20 plus years doing this and I currently have a 2009 that just rolled 100k. Normally I would run it much longer but I really need the tax write-off so I'm thinking of just ordering a new one and doing a Quigley conversion which I talked about in another thread. What really disappoints me is when I look on the GM build a vehicle website I can't get nowhere near the options I could if I order a pickup truck. Why is that? I spend just as much time in my van as someone in their pick up? No leather, no heated seats, wheel, etc. Virtually crap for colors, ZERO rim options.... and if I want to go diesel I get a detuned version because there's no hump in the floor for the Allison. How about putting a hump in the floor giving me a center console and letting me order up a van that would be every bit of a truck that a pickup would be? Seems like they're always behind on the vans. You can finally get nav and backup cameras but that's just recently and they've been around for years. Come on GM if I want to build a badass van for my business why won't you let me? Tell me I'm not alone on this? Anybody else find this Lame? I'm pretty shocked how much prices have gone up on a cargo van in the last 8 years.... wow. It's basically an empty box with 2 seats.

Last edited by expressvanman; December 27th, 2016 at 7:44 PM.
Old December 26th, 2016, 3:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by expressvanman
So I'm thinking if ordering my 4th Express. I need a van for my line of work. I buy/sell/restore & service coin operated equipment.... pinball, video games, darts, juke boxes etc.... so I need a van. I burned up three over the course of 20 plus years doing this and I currently have a 2009 that just rolled 100k. Normally I would run it much longer but I really need the tax write-off so I'm thinking of just ordering a new one and doing a Quigley conversion which I talked about in another thread. What really disappoints me is when I look on the GM build a vehicle website I can't get nowhere near the options I could if I order a pickup truck. Why is that? I spend just as much time in my van as someone in their pick up? No leather, no heated seats, wheel, etc. Virtually crap for colors, ZERO rim options.... and if I want to go diesel I get a detuned version because there's no hump in the floor for the Allison. How about putting a hump in the floor giving me a center console and letting me order up a van that would be every bit of a truck that a pickup would be? Seems like they're always behind on the vans. You can finally get nav and backup cameras but that's just recently and they've been around for years. Come on GM if I want to build a badass van for my business why won't you let me? Tell me I'm not alone on this? Anybody else find this Lame? I'm pretty shocked how much price of going to buy a cargo van in the last 8 years.... wow. It's basically an empty box with 2 seats.

I hear you . They clearly do not dump the money into these like they do other products. My guess is the market is simply too small. My van is nearly fully loaded and comparing it to a Silverado/Sierra... there's just no comparison. What I find somewhat surprising is the electrical revisions the Savana goes through. I can only guess they revamp the electrical junction boxes and connectors to keep the design current for the assembly plants. They have revamped things a few times without actually adding any options. None the less, be careful in what you wish for or we may see the whole line disappear.
Old December 26th, 2016, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Good point and you are right. the simple answer is; the market isn't there.

Nissan, dodge promaster, Mercedes, ford are not doing it either.

The options you want are there but in the aftermarket. The oem's are watching and if/when it becomes viable...they would do it.

Of all the work vans out there...I probably would pick gm...would never get a duramax in one. they are all terrible to work on space wise but a diesel in that small space...no thanks. Business wise, running diesel engines with egr coolers, scr and dpf systems make off warranty maintenance costs to high. Even city bus lines are dropping diesels in mini-buses.
Old December 27th, 2016, 7:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I hear you . They clearly do not dump the money into these like they do other products. My guess is the market is simply too small. My van is nearly fully loaded and comparing it to a Silverado/Sierra... there's just no comparison. What I find somewhat surprising is the electrical revisions the Savana goes through. I can only guess they revamp the electrical junction boxes and connectors to keep the design current for the assembly plants. They have revamped things a few times without actually adding any options. None the less, be careful in what you wish for or we may see the whole line disappear.
Revisions in the electrical system as in under the skin ....yet no options added is that what you mean?
is there really any advantage going GMC over Chevy? I have an 09 Express now and I'm ordering new because I need the write off and I want to do a Quigley 4 wheel drive. Just sucks you can't get all the nice stuff you can on a pick up.
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You couldnt get that stuff in a pickup back in the day either until pickups became the new sedan. Now everyone wants a pickup.....so car makers blinged em out over the decades......
Vans are still bough by people who ACTUALLY need a van......lol

I love my AWD savana passenger. If you could find one, and get away with a half ton chassis, you could save a bundle on that quigley conversion, and put some of that money into aftermarket stuff.....
Old December 28th, 2016, 7:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gmc or chevrolet suv, trucks, cars or vans...the only diff is cosmetic. Even the service manuals do not differentiate.
Old December 30th, 2016, 2:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. Got my 2006 van and it was barebones, I ended up outfitting it with 8.1L engine, cooling and transmission upgrades, aux fuel tank, power leather heated seats, wood/leather steering wheel tow mirrors, navigation, amplified stereo system, power sliding door. Tons of time spent on it but it is very comfortable now. I hope I will never want to sell it.
Old December 31st, 2016, 10:44 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, but in some ways, this is the best thing about these trucks. They are sold to be unfitted.
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. The hot market is SUV's and now Crew Cab Pick-Ups. Lots of market for those vehicles. Vans are getting pretty hard to come by (as far as full sized anyway). I have looked and looked for a decent diesel passenger. I did find a few up fitter vans made by Explorer. I surely did not want a cream puff like those. My dream would have been to have a standard wheelbase with seating for six, having six captains chairs in rows of two. I did speak with Explorer about that and they certainly will build one anyway you want, minus the tacky body cladding and over the top LED lighted everything. A tough interior with removable seats.

I found my twelve passenger extended wheelbase to be close enough. While the seats removable, they are heavy and tough to rustle around by myself. It has nearly every option but the one you really want, the back up camera. The rear parking assist is missing too. That sucks. Not so much for me, I drive large commercial vehicles daily. My petite queen on the other hand thinks her Equinox is a huge vehicle. It would give her confidence and me the ability to not worry about her running over anything or anyone.

The queen (my wife) along with my friends rolled their eyes when I first showed up with it. They laughed no more when I stuffed six or so in it and a bunch of crap with tons of room left over and yielding at least 18MPG.

Looking at the current build your own options on either flavor, GMC or Chevy, it seems to be obvious they are work mules for contractors and rental fleets. I hope they stay body on frame constructed but keeping up with the Jones's will probably seal the fate of these wonderful beasts.

isaac
Old January 1st, 2017, 1:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this van design may be nearing its end (hopefully not). So I doubt GM is going to spend money on retrofitting upgrades. 20 years for this platform now?

Also don't forget, for 2017 the Duramax gets downgraded to the 4 cylinder.

Last edited by greenfire; January 1st, 2017 at 1:09 PM.