Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Electrical help! Won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2013, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical help! Won't turn over

I have a 1995 G20 Sportvan with the 5.0l engine. A few weeks ago I noticed a strange surging occurring in my electrical system...head lights would surge and even get surging in the dash accessory lights. Thought i might have a short somewhere, so I checked fuses for stereo, subwoofer, etc and it would temporarily remedy problem then come back.

Then, two weeks ago I put some fuel in at the station and was headed to get brakes worked on and it turned over, sputtered and chugged then died. From that point I've had no turn over whatsoever. Not even a click in the solenoid. Battery is strong and I just replaced the starter about 4 months ago. I had to replace the ignition about a year ago when I lost key, so I'm curious if perhaps dismantling the steering column may have caused a short or I'm missing something somewhere else...

I've had people mention everything from ECM to fuel pump...what's the best way to troubleshoot as I'm not quite sure where to start?
Old December 8th, 2013, 2:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A handheld code reader might help. If not, try bypassing or replacing the starter relay.
The surging could be a bad alternator.
If you get it running, get the alt checked.