Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Engine won't stay running.

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't stay running.

Hello. I am new to the forum, I am a bit embarrassed by my situation as I typically won't ask for help but this situation has me ready to start looking a pistol rental.

2003 chevy express 2500 5.3 347000 on the odometer.

Freshly rebuilt motor, Installed started ran fine only ran for about two minutes as it was dry. Shut it down and left the shop for the night. Next day buttoned up the front end and went over every nut and bolt while i was evacuating A/C System. Added Coolant started van pulled out of the garage and turned around parked at entrance of shop let van idle to operating temp then shut her down. Did i mention this sucker didn't miss a beat. Like a top it ran.

Next morning went down to top of coolant, did so, checked to make sure I still had a vacuum on the A/C. Grabbed my freon and got all set up to charge the A/C and had a no go from the engine. On the third key cycle the van sort of started but pissed and farted and died. Didn't have much gas in the tank and was on a mild incline, so i dumped 5 gallons of fuel in, still no start. Engine will fire but only with my foot on the gas, misses all over the place and stalls as soon as I let my foot off of the pedal. Here is what i have gone through as of this far.

PO300 is the only code I get and it is pending

Fuel Pressure is within spec.
I have good spark
I have gone through and checked every ground connection all are good and clean
checked every quick connector.
Checked for pulse at injectors
swapped out both the Cam Position Sensor and Crank Position sensor with known good sensors, but to no avail.
Took MAF off the van and cleaned it with Mass Air flow sensor cleaner.
Looked everywhere for where i might have been sloppy and left a wire to lay on something hot or somewhere it might have been rubbing on something.
Ran about 3 pints of gas through the release on the fuel pressure tester good Volume

I think what this amounts to is timing, the engine ran well and now i can't get it to run.

Anyone have any direction that I should go. It feels like its out of time, but how could this be.
Old October 30th, 2014, 3:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the timing not electronically controlled on those vans? Maybe something in there is bad.
Old October 30th, 2014, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

thats what has me scratching my head, changed the cam position sensor and crank sensor which are timing related. It is cant find anything that jumps out and says hey look at me I am your problem.
Old October 31st, 2014, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never touched one of those newer engines yet.....the coil packs and so on are foreign to me...lol. Sorry.
Old September 7th, 2021, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wkeating81
Hello. I am new to the forum, I am a bit embarrassed by my situation as I typically won't ask for help but this situation has me ready to start looking a pistol rental.

2003 chevy express 2500 5.3 347000 on the odometer.

Freshly rebuilt motor, Installed started ran fine only ran for about two minutes as it was dry. Shut it down and left the shop for the night. Next day buttoned up the front end and went over every nut and bolt while i was evacuating A/C System. Added Coolant started van pulled out of the garage and turned around parked at entrance of shop let van idle to operating temp then shut her down. Did i mention this sucker didn't miss a beat. Like a top it ran.

Next morning went down to top of coolant, did so, checked to make sure I still had a vacuum on the A/C. Grabbed my freon and got all set up to charge the A/C and had a no go from the engine. On the third key cycle the van sort of started but pissed and farted and died. Didn't have much gas in the tank and was on a mild incline, so i dumped 5 gallons of fuel in, still no start. Engine will fire but only with my foot on the gas, misses all over the place and stalls as soon as I let my foot off of the pedal. Here is what i have gone through as of this far.

PO300 is the only code I get and it is pending

Fuel Pressure is within spec.
I have good spark
I have gone through and checked every ground connection all are good and clean
checked every quick connector.
Checked for pulse at injectors
swapped out both the Cam Position Sensor and Crank Position sensor with known good sensors, but to no avail.
Took MAF off the van and cleaned it with Mass Air flow sensor cleaner.
Looked everywhere for where i might have been sloppy and left a wire to lay on something hot or somewhere it might have been rubbing on something.
Ran about 3 pints of gas through the release on the fuel pressure tester good Volume

I think what this amounts to is timing, the engine ran well and now i can't get it to run.

Anyone have any direction that I should go. It feels like its out of time, but how could this be.
did this ever get figured out? I am having the same issue.
Thanks
Old September 15th, 2021, 1:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator bad?