Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express 3500 Radio

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2013, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express 3500 Radio

I have a motorhome that is built on a 2000 Chevy Express 3500 frame. The previous owner installed an after market radio. I want to replace it with a factory radio. I have one from my sons Lumina. Is there anything special I need to do to re-installl the factory radio?
Old October 30th, 2013, 6:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what the previous owner did when they installed the aftermarket stereo. If they used a harness to connect to the factory wiring, and didn't hack it all up, then no, there is nothing special you need to do. if they did hack up the factory wiring, then you will need to buy a vehicle side harness to connect to the radio.
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. Buy a new vehicle......lol
Gm has the stupid theftlock bs on their factory radios because they are sooooo often stolen....
If you are going to install a gm head unit, call a dealer first to see what is involved in them resetting the passcode or whatever.
In my opinion, aftermarkets are nicer, cheaper and have more options. Unless you really want that factory look...I would not bother.
Old October 31st, 2013, 9:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, probably cost $50 to get reset at the dealer. or you can watch a few youtube videos on how to "fix" it so it works. Basically involves removing a chip inside the radio. Might be worth a quick try though to see if it works, not sure if the older ones had the theft feature too.
Old October 31st, 2013, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Yes. Buy a new vehicle......lol
Gm has the stupid theftlock bs on their factory radios because they are sooooo often stolen....
If you are going to install a gm head unit, call a dealer first to see what is involved in them resetting the passcode or whatever.
In my opinion, aftermarkets are nicer, cheaper and have more options. Unless you really want that factory look...I would not bother.

All the after market radios I've looked at have buttons that are to small and I can't read whats marked on them while I'm driving (old and need glasses to read with) so I want to replace it with the factory radio so I can change stations while driving.
Old October 31st, 2013, 7:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really. I have a jvc double din size deck, and the buttons are large and there is only one **** for volume. Very simple layout.
I guess you will have to decide. I have the factory 6 disc gm radio in the wife's hhr, and its nice. Matches the dash perfectly....
Good luck.