Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express will/will not start. Fuel Pump problem..

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express will/will not start. Fuel Pump problem..

A few days ago my van would not start. It turned but would not start. I then noticed when I turned the key to illuminate the ignition lights I could not hear the fuel pump (which kicks in before the engine is running and runs for a couple of seconds when the engine is switched off).
This was on my driveway so the following morning tried again and nothing. I checked all the fuses and decided to replace the relay, the van then started. I used the van a couple of times then it would not start again, same thing regarding the fuel pump.
It has all the symtoms of a corroded wire/connection but was just wondering is there any particular place within the wiring which could be prone to corrosion and how easy is it to access the pump ?
Old April 4th, 2011, 6:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the fuel pump could be on its way out. next time it happens have someone crank the engine while you hammer on the tank with a rubber mallet. if it starts now the f/p is probably worn out.
Old April 5th, 2011, 3:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
the fuel pump could be on its way out. next time it happens have someone crank the engine while you hammer on the tank with a rubber mallet. if it starts now the f/p is probably worn out.
Thanks, I'll try that next.
All I've tried so far (with the ignition on) is removing and replacing the relay and crawling around underneath the van pushing and pulling the wires hoping I'll hear the pump , which I haven't.
Do I need to drop the tank to get at the pump or is there a hole in the van floor for easy access ?
Old April 6th, 2011, 2:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, as I had nobody to crank the engine I just turned the ignition on then went under the van with a hammer and hit the tank in various places hoping to hear the pump start but it didn't, though when I switched off the ignition the pump kicked in. I then switched the ignition back on and could hear the pump so started the van and it ran fine, turned off and could still hear the pump.
I think I must have have a bad pump ? (will I have to drop the tank to get access ? hope not as the tank is full !!!).
Old April 15th, 2011, 4:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I've ordered a new pump which is being shipped here from the States but since hitting the tank and starting the van I've had no more problems, the van always starts and I can always hear the pump ??????
Old April 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

replace the pump as its just a matter of time before the hammer solution won't work. if it has an external fuel filter replace it also or you will void the pump warranty.

not sure what year your van is but all i've seen; will have to drop the tank.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Similiar problem here with suspected fuel pump problem. 2000 Chevy Express 3500, 5.7L. Started the van and it ran for 3 seconds and stalled. When I tried to restart I did not hear the whining sound from the fuel pump. I switched the starter relay with the fuel pump relay and still the same problem, so assume the relay is bad. I can not locate any fuse that is labled 'fuel pump' in engine compartment, so not sure if I have one. Where is that fuse ? An auto shop banged on the tank while trying to start - no effect. Shop told me the fuel pump needs replacement at a cost of $ 565 + $300 labor. Not sure if they were scaming me. So....any other way to check to confirm the pump is bad before I go replacing it ???
Old April 23rd, 2011, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,I have got the same problem but i have not got any power at all going to the fuel pump,Relay is working fine,Tryed to put Direct feed to the pump but nothing.
I think it might be the pump too also tryed to bang the tank.
Been working on it to nite got some of the fuel out do the rest tomorrow
Uk weather it stops you doing everything.

I have got a 1990 chevy g20 5.7

Where did you order your pump from???

Originally Posted by EnyChevyUK
A few days ago my van would not start. It turned but would not start. I then noticed when I turned the key to illuminate the ignition lights I could not hear the fuel pump (which kicks in before the engine is running and runs for a couple of seconds when the engine is switched off).
This was on my driveway so the following morning tried again and nothing. I checked all the fuses and decided to replace the relay, the van then started. I used the van a couple of times then it would not start again, same thing regarding the fuel pump.
It has all the symtoms of a corroded wire/connection but was just wondering is there any particular place within the wiring which could be prone to corrosion and how easy is it to access the pump ?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 8:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesnt matter where the pump comes from especially if you re in Europe. You could have used a OPEL/VAUXHALL pump just the same. Or a Bosch. All you need is something designed to run at the same psi.

The pump is in the tank, you will have to drop the tank via the 2 straps.
$700 is about the right price. If you dont have any fuel in it then you can do the job. If you do, then you need something to put it in.
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

I live in USA and got a pump from NAPA for $350. (eBay may have them cheeper but I could not wait) I took the easy way out and cut a 8 x 8 inch hole in the floor of my cargo van and replaced the pump that way. Took about 2 hours to install and all is working fine.

Quick Reply: Express will/will not start. Fuel Pump problem..