Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express will/will not start. Fuel Pump problem..

Old April 25th, 2011, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac_andy
Hi,I have got the same problem but i have not got any power at all going to the fuel pump,Relay is working fine,Tryed to put Direct feed to the pump but nothing.
I think it might be the pump too also tryed to bang the tank.
Been working on it to nite got some of the fuel out do the rest tomorrow
Uk weather it stops you doing everything.

I have got a 1990 chevy g20 5.7

Where did you order your pump from???
I just went on Ebay.com (USA) and searched for sellers who ship to the UK. I got prices from various suppliers in the UK but they were all too expensive so have bought direct from the States as it worked out at nearly half the price even inc shipping !
I originally went on Rock Auto (who also ship to the UK) for the correct part number for my year of van.
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

hope you ordered the right one, there are one wire harness connection and 2 wire harness connection pumps. This is my first and last chevy van. never had so many problems that make no sence. I'll stick with fords.
Old May 15th, 2011, 2:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dmscon
hope you ordered the right one, there are one wire harness connection and 2 wire harness connection pumps. This is my first and last chevy van. never had so many problems that make no sence. I'll stick with fords.
Yeah, I ordered the right one. It is now fitted and runs fine (even though it was running fine since hitting the tank - 'better safe than sorry'), it's also a lot quieter than the old one.
I've owned quite a few American cars in the last 10 years and all have been from GM (except for a Dodge Ram) and I've never really had any major problems other than components that have a limited life e.g batteries, starter motor etc.
The Express has had a couple more thing fail than I expected but is was purchased with 125000 miles, no service history and a previous owner who just 'drove it' without any maintenance.
Never had a US Ford so can not comment on them though the Euro Fords I had when I was younger where also reliable.
Old May 16th, 2011, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 chevy express van. 262 6 cyl. It turns over good, but does not start. I did not start it for 3 months, during a cold vermont winter. I replaced the battery, and after cranking it, forever, it started, and ran good, all week. It sat this weekend, and this mon morning, would not start. As I noticed the last time it did this, there was only 7 volts showing on battery gauge. I understand that the fuel injecters, or whatever they are called, need 55 psi cranking, to open. After running, last week, the voltage was back to 14 volts. I don't know what to do...I can hear the fuel pump noise when I turn the key on...

Last edited by DIGHTON R WATERS; May 16th, 2011 at 9:29 AM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Had the fuel pump die on our conversion van Tuesday. Flatbed wrecker towed to shop. When I called my mechanic, he suggested the "tank beating" to avoid tow costs($88) but that didn't work.

At his shop:
Fuel pump replaced(tank was FULL)
Fuel filter replaced
MAF cleaned
Air filter replaced(Wix)
Removed charcoal cannister and "aired it out"
Total $648

The MAF was done at my request because about a month ago it tossed the MIL light on. Autotap(on my laptop) showed the MAF code. Cleared it and never had a problem since. Cleaning the MAF, if it works, is much less than replacement.

About the charcoal cannister: it can get gas in it from either overfill of your tank or from bad operation of the solenoids. Ours was most likely overfill. The symptoms are a large amount of gas fumes around the vehicle similar to a broken vapor line(we had that on a Ford van).
Old October 14th, 2011, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace fuel pump

Hi,

I recently replaced my fuel pump in my 1999 G1500. The new pump had a different connector than the old but came with a connector to replace the stock one. The reason for the new connector was that the old one was a bad design. So it could be that the connector is your problem.

Regardless, you still have to drop the tank to get to it and you may as well replace the pump while you are there.

The biggest problems I had were... (siphon tank first)

1. Getting the fill hose off. The hose is not just a simple pipe. It has some internal structure.
2. You will need a new retaining ring from a dealer (for the pump itself). Clean up good around the pump before you pull it out so that no debris falls in the tank.
3. Raising the tank back up in place was a balancing act using blocks and hand jacks.

Good luck,

Jason
The following users liked this post:
claude now (August 10th, 2020)
Old September 4th, 2012, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem with the pump not getting power in my 2000 Chevy Express 1500 4.3L v6. My mechanic has replaced the fuse, relay, and even the pump itself but still no power to the pump. Now he saying that the injectors and part of the computer aren't getting electricity also. Does anyone have an answer or is this guy trying to screw me?
Old March 6th, 2014, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Eng cuts out

Have Chevy cargo van 2000, 2500 series intermittently eng cuts off no lights on dash???? Very erratic have replaced fuel pump' Runs for quite awhile and the does it again-any ideas-mech checks all out but can't find it if it's not doing it-all info reads all items ok????
Old July 22nd, 2014, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I also live in the U.S.A, Florida and are having the "not getting fuel to start" problem. You say you cut an 8x8" hole in the floor of your cargo van. I suppose in mine, the G1500 Express that would be under the back seat, right? Your reply is greatly appreciated. E.R.
Old July 26th, 2014, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your not likely going to get help when you comment a new problem on the end of a 4 year old thread, or one from months ago.....lol. Start your own one and tell us the symptoms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Express will/will not start. Fuel Pump problem..