Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Front clip swap

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2011, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front clip swap

Hey guys, new here. I have a 97 Express 3500 van that I use to tow my trailer for my small business. I bought it a year ago at a bellsouth auction for a great price. It's an old power van with the rv generator built in etc.... It has the standard "work truck" front grille/headlights/hood/bumper.

Last month a cinder block fell off a truck in front of my at 75mph. It destroyed the grille, radiator, hood, bumper, headlights, etc... His insurance is going to cut me a check to repair everything, I'm spending a little extra and having the whole van repainted as well. I have to buy new fenders, hood, bumper, grille, and lights. I wanted to upgrade to the other style, the rest of the body appears to be identical, do the front clips interchange relatively easily ?

I would like either of these, preferably the newest style one.

Old January 20th, 2011, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002 and I did the swap for your second picture. If you change out the radiator support wall it's an easy conversion. I did not and it took some cutting with a dremmel to get the modular headlights to fit. Well worth the time, it's a great upgrade. Pride of ownership comes to mind.

I got the parts at a U Pull. Be sure to get ALL clips, harnesses and sheet metal screws.

After cutting the composite material of the radiator support wall it took less than 60 minutes to assemble the new grill, headlights, wiring and chrome bumper.

When I get over this flu I can send you some pics. As for now, it's relatively easy and I have confidence in just about anyone's ability to make the change.
Old January 21st, 2011, 4:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u won't have any issues as such. but u might have to hunt for it.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default ?????????

Originally Posted by anjy834u
u won't have any issues as such. but u might have to hunt for it.
Such as what??
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Here's a pic of the standard sealed beam support wall:

Notice the round holes for headlight harness connection. You will need to cut away part of the composite material to fit the headlight modules into place and have access to the sockets and harness.

This is how you will have to cut your current support wall to get the mods to fit. A dremmel makes quick work of it. Also, be sure to get all of the extruded nuts from the donor vehicle as well as the harness. The harness is different from your sealed beam unit.

This is an extruded U Nut. You will need them to position the mod headlights on the support wall.

I was fortunate in that I was able to get all of my parts from a "Cash for Clunkers" trade-in. Try asking for those vehicles first as they tend to not have the body damage you hope to avoid.

Also, if you can find a Starcraft conversion, grab those leather seats!!! Worth every freakin' penny you will spend amigo. Your bunz will thank you for it too on those long hauls.

Last edited by USA 1; January 22nd, 2011 at 7:22 PM. Reason: additional graphics