Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Violent Death Wobble On Cube Van

Originally Posted by robby Joe
Recently purchased 2009 Chevy 2500 Express Conversion Van has 90,000 miles violently shakes (front end) when going over slight road bumps.

Ok under 40 mph. i see previous owner at 74,000 had the steering gear Repaired/Replaced. from my understanding they generally need replacing every 70,000?? in any case the steering wheel at 3 mph rocks left and right a few inches when ever slight bumps. What's going on?? what part of the Front End do i focus on first??
Did anybody completely solve the problem?
Old December 7th, 2015, 4:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dunno.....It sucks when the OP don't return to update things...
Old May 20th, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Violent wobble:
I replaced my drums because they were worn unevenly. - Didn't Work
I replaced shocks thinking they were bad.- Didn't Work.
I had wheels rebalanced at tire shop. -Didn't work (wobble came back soon)
Only happened when hitting the brakes, stopping abruptly, from high speed to red light.
I had front end alignment checked out. Checked out fine. Didn't Work.
I replaced my calipers on both sides. Didn't work!
Death wobble so violent I thought on a downhill in mountains I was going to drive off a mountain on a turn!
Only two options left, replace brake pump, lines and reservoir or have ABS looked into.
Other choice: Replace all 4 rims and tires.
I went for the 4 new wheels and tires...and Wahlaah! Turns out the dang tires had small bumps and flat spots that nobody had noticed before.
Hope this helps you, check for bad tires! Will save you about $1,000 to $2,000 !
The following users liked this post:
the Brain (April 12th, 2022)
Old July 16th, 2017, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Had the same problem art 06 Chevy express Van.

had the violent shaking on an 06 Chevy express Van three-quarter ton. This vehicle had 70,000 miles on it the problem lies with the steel wheels if you have steel wheels on your van or shaking on the Chevy with steel wheels you may want to change those to aluminum alloy wheels I found a set of American racing aluminum wheels for 200 bucks and problem-solvied
The following users liked this post:
the Brain (April 12th, 2022)
Old July 16th, 2017, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default If you have steel wheels replace them with aluminum alloy

If you have steel wheels
Originally Posted by robby Joe
Recently purchased 2009 Chevy 2500 Express Conversion Van has 90,000 miles violently shakes (front end) when going over slight road bumps.

Ok under 40 mph. i see previous owner at 74,000 had the steering gear Repaired/Replaced. from my understanding they generally need replacing every 70,000?? in any case the steering wheel at 3 mph rocks left and right a few inches when ever slight bumps. What's going on?? what part of the Front End do i focus on first??
Old April 3rd, 2019, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Adrian Gonzales
On the Violent wobble:
I replaced my drums because they were worn unevenly. - Didn't Work
I replaced shocks thinking they were bad.- Didn't Work.
I had wheels rebalanced at tire shop. -Didn't work (wobble came back soon)
Only happened when hitting the brakes, stopping abruptly, from high speed to red light.
I had front end alignment checked out. Checked out fine. Didn't Work.
I replaced my calipers on both sides. Didn't work!
Death wobble so violent I thought on a downhill in mountains I was going to drive off a mountain on a turn!
Only two options left, replace brake pump, lines and reservoir or have ABS looked into.
Other choice: Replace all 4 rims and tires.
I went for the 4 new wheels and tires...and Wahlaah! Turns out the dang tires had small bumps and flat spots that nobody had noticed before.
Hope this helps you, check for bad tires! Will save you about $1,000 to $2,000 !
I have this same issue on my 2015 GMC 2500 Explorer Van. I purchased it new and it only has 25,000 miles on it. I shook so violently this morning I had to pull over on the expressway. I was going about 45 mph...slight turn left on the on-ramp and hit a few small road bumps. That seemed to cause a chain reaction of shaking. Same spot 4 separate occasions and 4 separate trips to the dealer. Next dealer visit it tomorrow. They keep aligning the van and rebalancing tires. Says there are no other problems. This is not a safe solution.
Old October 13th, 2019, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Violent shaking on braking from high speec

Gregory, did the dealer figure out your problem?
Old July 4th, 2020, 8:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going down this road again. The first time it happened it was because I warped the front rotors on a long grade (I did not realize that tow-haul mode on the 2004 did not aid in descent control on hills). New pads and rotors made the problem go away for a few years. It was a very scary experience as you could not hold the steering wheel when pushing on the brake pedal so we went to the next town and parked it until it was fixed.
This time I had the front end apart to replace the spindles and do a 5" lift. Now I get an intermittent heavy vibration while braking but it is very similar to when I warped the rotors. It doesn't do it every time...something needs to be in the correct position for it to happen. Any ideas? Getting an alignment did not make it go away but it got a bit better. I am going to pull the front pads and grease the sliders tomorrow as they fell out when doing the lift. I'm trying to figure out if I have play in the steering gear, something is slack in that area when you wiggle the wheels with them off the ground. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 5th, 2020, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

check the bearings
Old July 6th, 2020, 10:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I noticed that one of the wheel bearings did not have rolling resistance when I had it apart but neither of them are loose when you grasp the wheel to check them. Cleaning the front brake pad sliders and greasing them with the orange ceramic has helped. Over a 4 hour drive I went from some shaking to almost none. I am still getting some noise from a front brake fairly frequently that goes away if I touch the brake pedal. The only other thing I did was scrape the inside faces on the wheels with a file to remove some rust buildup.

Quick Reply: Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble