Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 5.0 stalling issue (1989)

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2016, 1:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20 5.0 stalling issue (1989)

I've done a fair bit of work trying to solve this stalling business. In the last year of so I got trouble codes for O2 sensor and throttle position sensor - replaced those, and then another for EGR valve, it was old and ugly - replaced that. Also put in new fuel filter, air filter, and plugs. On the latter, I think I figured out why the previous owner sold this van in good shape at a low price: he didn't want to change the plugs again.

It was a challenge just pulled the caps off the old plugs. I struggled with that and finally hit on putting an open end wrench over the exposed part of the plug, snug but loose, and put a square bit of steel between the middle of the wrench and the block and whacking the top of the wrench lightly with a hammer. Who woulda thought, came right off.

No more trouble codes, this after disconnecting the battery to clear the old ones. It doesn't stall as readily as it did but it's not fully healed. Maybe setting the idle a bit higher would be the cowboy solution, in lieu of something else. This van runs pretty well all in all.