Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 Troubles

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2014, 2:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20 Troubles

So today I finally got to work on the van since it hasn't been running. Changed all the plugs and wires along with the distributor cap, rotor, and ignition coil. Thought that these changes would get 'er running again but sadly no After removing the air filter assembly and tb cover I come to find that my injectors are not spraying or dripping.

When I first bought this van a month ago it had already been sitting for a while so I knew that I would have to run it dry or dispose and get new gas. Well I couldn't run it long enough to empty the tank (not even a quarter of a tank used) before it stopped running. So now I get to dispose of the old and hope that the new gas will do the job.

If anyone has any other comments, I am all ears.

Highlander
Old August 21st, 2014, 1:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should not have ran the old fuel. You should have drained all that you could have.

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the key? If not, the pump is clogged.

If the fuel pump runs on key on, then change the fuel filter. It might be clogged as well.
Once those are done, and you have fuel running, then the injectors should work, unless they have no power, or are faulty as well. You can swap them around and use the secondary injector as the primary to test that.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

The pump should prime, I replaced it 4 weeks ago. Same with the fuel filter. I cannot hear the pump prime when I start it because of the annoying noise that occurs when you turn the key. Any way to turn that off??

I hope I do not need to replace these parts. The injectors are getting power and I attempted to switch them around to see if there was any change but some how lost both of the larger o-rings that sit on top of the injector.

Highlander
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should def hear the pump running for a few seconds when you turn the key on. You can stand at the back of the van and have someone else sit in the van with the door closed and turn on the key. You can't miss it. Its a dull whiirrr for about 3 seconds. If you don't hear it then that is your problem. No prime means no fuel pressure. Injectors wont squirt. If you replaced the pump then maybe there was an issue on the reinstall.....
Old August 22nd, 2014, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

I had it running after the reinstall for about a week and then it quit on me one morning. I assumed that it had to do with my ignition since I had just replaced the fuel pump, filter, and relay.

But after installing new wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and ignition coil and it not running; and finding out that the injectors are not spraying anymore, I just assume that they had gotten clogged with the old gas that is in the tank.

When I get back in town I will empty the tank, fill with new gas and try to get er running.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I had a similar issue with a 94 G20 was a short in the wires behind the battery