Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G30 drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2017, 11:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20 drum brakes

I've had this problem off and on for a year now. My right rear brakes over adjust then they drag butt until I back them off. Then they over adjust again. All of the rear brake parts were brand new a year ago. new shoes new drums new hardware new parking brake cables. When my rear end went out I had the axle guys transfer all my new parts to the new rear end. Same problem. My next move is to get different self adjusters from a different store diff brand.

Last edited by JIMMYDRIVER1; May 14th, 2017 at 2:46 PM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

I still have this problem. Anyone have a clue? I have had 2 different mechanics look at it. They have turned the drums and readjusted. One cylinder got replaced. Problem returned. The past few days I scrounged up 2 used drums at the junk yard and I stripped all the self adjuster parts. I'm going to put that stuff in my van. I just wonder if the chinese drums from autozone warp easy.
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Braking while reversing, or the emergency brake cable actuate the self adjuster. Are all those components in good shape and lubricated? Do you brake in reverse a lot? Is there more play on the shoes and springs on one side than the other?
Just a few thoughts....
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:03 PM
CF Junior Member

so I got new brake shoes. Went to the junk yard tore off all the drum brake hardware off of 2 vans. picked the best out of the bunch and put it back together along with 2 drums I got from the junk yard. Problem seems to be solved.