Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Great White Whale Motovan Build

Old March 9th, 2015, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great White Whale Motovan Build

Call me Ahab.

I just brought home this beaut to haul my toys around

Name:  IMAG0043.jpg
Views: 5666
Size:  53.0 KB

She's an '07 2500 extended cargo with the 4.8 (bably LS), 4l80e trans and a dana 60 rear axle. Sadly, no AWD, so a few days each winter will be interesting...

It came basically empty save for this obnoxious, rattly partition (anyone want to buy a like new partition?)

Name:  IMAG0044.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  58.4 KB

tan vinyl interior, good for cleaning grease off of. The driver's seat wasn't collapsed or torn, and I was surprised how clean the van was overall.

Name:  IMAG0047.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  71.5 KB

Of course the knock sensors threw a code not 10 miles from the dealer lot...

Name:  IMAG0048.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  89.1 KB

So I pulled the engine cover to see how hard it would be to do myself or it I was going to invoke the meager powertrain warranty I have on the van. Long story short, I don't really trust anyone else to not cut corners so I ordered parts to do it myself. I'll change spark plugs and wires while it's apart and then hopefully not touch it for a LOOONG time.

Here's the intended use: hauling bikes and keeping them away from prying eyes.

Name:  IMAG0052.jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  70.9 KB

Decently roomy, but it's no high top. I didn't want the extra 'sail effect' in the strong sidewinds we can get here.

Name:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  60.9 KB

Dana 60 rear end with 3.73 gears. I'll be putting in a posi to help in the snow before this winter. Looks like it should be easy, those appear to be screw carrier adjusters! (I've done conventional diffs before where you need a case spreader and all than jazz, and it SUCKS)

Name:  IMAG0057.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  57.4 KB

That's all for now. I've god a calss IV hitch and some 8ft lengths of E track in the mail. Plan is to lay etrack on the floor using high pullout strength rivet nuts and backing washers. Then build a welded subframe that will clip into the etrack and act as a wheel chock/tie down point and move all the forced from compressing the front end from the floor into the subframe.

Next I want to either find a rock and roll bed or build a bed platform behind the drivers seats. I'm leaning to the bed/seat combo because I want to have passenger space if needed. I don't think the dedicated storage that a platform would afford will be neccessary, this thing's HUGE!

I also want to insulate the cargo area and install a stereo/backup camera as funds allow. Anyone have any suggestions for rear speakers (behind drivers seat) for a bare cargo van?
Old March 9th, 2015, 5:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride reading your post I want to comment that from experience posi rears are nightmares in the snow the tend to get sideways. We had 7.5 ft of snow here in Southeastern Massachusetts in February, our 03 Express with limited slip handles snow well.
Old March 9th, 2015, 6:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good looking van. I like the wheels. You may want to keep that partition, will protect you, in case of an accident, from cargo.

Get snow tires for winter.
Old March 10th, 2015, 7:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Have you considered using a bench seat that folds down behind your buckets, may be a easy fit.
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by solwav
Nice ride reading your post I want to comment that from experience posi rears are nightmares in the snow the tend to get sideways. We had 7.5 ft of snow here in Southeastern Massachusetts in February, our 03 Express with limited slip handles snow well.
Posi is another name for limited slip...do you mean to say lockers are bad in the snow? cuz i'm with you there.
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by greenfire
Good looking van. I like the wheels. You may want to keep that partition, will protect you, in case of an accident, from cargo.

Get snow tires for winter.
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

I want access to the rear seat (when it's installed). also, it's rattly and I will have a near silent van when I'm done.

Cargo will be tied down better than many commercial vehicles.

snow tires would be great but a) we only have maybe 5-10 days a year where they would make sense and b) I don't really have a place to store them. The garage is ... 'efficiently' packed.
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by solwav
Have you considered using a bench seat that folds down behind your buckets, may be a easy fit.
Yes, and I think this is my #1 goal as long as Ican find one that is cheap and large enough and in good condition. and local...new ones are $600 and up plus shipping. Whereas I can build a dedicated platform for around $100 and have more efficient storage underneath it.
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Update: I cleared codes with my new Hypertech programmer and they haven't come back yet, so I'm not sure what to think. Obviously the knock sensor codes were intermittent at best. I'm still going to replace them, if for no other reason than to do the intake gasket at the same time.

Also, it's nice to be able to play around with shift firmness. I'm used to a manual and a firmer shift feels more natural to me. Should be easier on the transmission too, since there is less slip per shift.
Old March 10th, 2015, 9:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I was you I'd get plywood or 1x4's mounted to those walls pronto. One slip of those bikes and you'll have a nasty dent on the outside.

I'm glad I bought a 135" for the turning, parking, etc., but everytime I see an extended I regret not getting one.
Old March 11th, 2015, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Have to believe a local boneyard has or can locate a fold down bench. I have noticed that only the rear most benches seat four people, more forward benches seat three so the length may be a concern in regards to using as a bed. The year and make should not matter as you will have to manufacture anchors anyway. Over years of production of full size American vans with changing styles of cloth/leather and patterns I think you have a pretty good chance of finding seat that will look like it belongs in your van.

About the posi, I had one in a 96 Dodge B3500 and in the snow I could only accelerate very very slowly otherwise the rear end would just fishtail, to say it sucked is a understatement. I don't think it was a locker as don't recall Dodge offering the option.

Last edited by solwav; March 11th, 2015 at 8:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great White Whale Motovan Build