Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Headache Rack / Cab Guard

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2015, 9:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headache Rack / Cab Guard

I'm tossing back and forth on buying a steel divider to protect the front from the cargo in the back. The one thing I don't like is all the dividers on the market leave large air gaps. I carry a lot of dusty items (drywall related). I'd really prefer to seal the front from the back completely. I've been considering, or even leaning on using 3/4" plywood and trimming it tight. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to do so? The one advantage of doing so allows the ease of mounting things to the divider. Simply screw them on anywhere you like.

Just looking for input. I imagine it wouldn't be easy to cut, probably have to go in two pieces lengthwise to get the right measurements/outline.
Old March 12th, 2015, 7:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a custom made divider out of wood and used a foam spray to fill the gaps between the wood end and the van walls. It is air tight, but sometimes is squeaks going over bumps. Even has a window in it so you can use rear view mirrow. .
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you included the squeaky bit, obviously I do not want to go tight. Instead of spray foam, I think I'd be better to find a rubber to use as a gasket. You probably squeak because the foam isn't as giving as the material you really need. For me, I'd rather not leave the residue although honestly it's a work van, it's not likely anyones going to restore it to original condition in 20 years.

Would you have a pic? Did go in one piece? Two, three? I always have high demands on myself but I don't always follow through with them. I guess what I am trying to say is I usually dream up the best way to do someone and overthink it, which means it's not always the best.
Old March 14th, 2015, 1:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a two piece. Upper and lower.
Old March 14th, 2015, 2:01 PM
CF Pro Member

That's what I was so far thinking of doing. It seems to be the easiest way to get the right curves. I wish I didn't need a hole for the slider mechanism.
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a steel cage that I filled in with 1" pink foam insulation, then covered that with 1/2" osb plywood. It is not tight to the roof but you could do the same and make it tight(ish)