Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help! 09 Chevy Express no windows and blazing hot relay even with no key in it???

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2016, 8:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 09 Chevy Express no windows and blazing hot relay even with no key in it???

Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone can help me here. Just went to leave my shop, hopped in my van and noticed the windows would not go down. Went to check the fuse and just about burned my freekin hand off on the window relay under the seat. Disconnected both driver and passenger side switches and relay still has current at it no matter if the key is in or out of the ignition an ignition is on or off. I even waited until after it turns the dome lights off and completely shuts down and it's still arcs when I plug it in in like a window is activated. How can I get current across the relay when the key is not even in the ignition? Where do I start? I have no idea how long this thing has been blazing hot I don't drive the truck daily. Also when I do attempt to plug the relay in I hear some sort of strange almost like a squeaking noise under the dash or even possibly on the opposite engine side of the firewall. Hard to tell where it's coming from. It's a very brief sound. Also now I just noticed I've got a check engine light. Plugged in my scanner and it says p1682 manufacturer control auxiliary inputs auxiliary outputs. After I plugged in the relay briefly and started the truck the check engine light went out but I took the relay back out... still no check engine light after a few restarts. What is the deal with this thing? Anyone have a clue?

Last edited by expressvanman; June 22nd, 2016 at 8:21 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

A short in the relay? Have you tried replacing it?
Old June 22nd, 2016, 2:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Well when I get a minute I'll shoot up to Napa and see if that's what it is but I would think that's odd? I've never seen one of these fail. Is there a way to test these with a meter?
Old June 22nd, 2016, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by expressvanman
Well when I get a minute I'll shoot up to Napa and see if that's what it is but I would think that's odd? I've never seen one of these fail. Is there a way to test these with a meter?
There should be two contacts that act as the 'switch" and two or more that go to the 'load'. Ohm out both. I am not a master mechanic, just a shade tree one.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 3:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by awelder
There should be two contacts that act as the 'switch" and two or more that go to the 'load'. Ohm out both. I am not a master mechanic, just a shade tree one.
It's a 2 pin device. I called Napa to see if they had it in stock and he says they don't show a relay for power windows on an 09. I'm assuming maybe this is the fuse but it's a 25A 14V device and that's what is getting pistol hot. It's super easy to pull a door panels so really quick I disconnected both window motors and it's still shorts out when I plug it in. I'm wondering if it's a body control module because of the code I saw earlier.
Just took a peek at the panel under the seat and it's called a circuit breaker so maybe it's bad

Last edited by expressvanman; June 22nd, 2016 at 4:11 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by expressvanman
It's a 2 pin device. I called Napa to see if they had it in stock and he says they don't show a relay for power windows on an 09. I'm assuming maybe this is the fuse but it's a 25A 14V device and that's what is getting pistol hot. It's super easy to pull a door panels so really quick I disconnected both window motors and it's still shorts out when I plug it in. I'm wondering if it's a body control module because of the code I saw earlier.
Just took a peek at the panel under the seat and it's called a circuit breaker so maybe it's bad
Don't trust the counter man. Relay is the first thing to replace. Keep it simple. A hot component is always suspect IMHO.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 6:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by awelder
Don't trust the counter man. Relay is the first thing to replace. Keep it simple. A hot component is always suspect IMHO.
Agreed... Walking into napa now but the panel doesn't show a relay....it just shows a circuit breaker
Old June 22nd, 2016, 6:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Well that wasn't it although this breaker seems to do what it should which is start to get warm click off and then when I take it out it eventually clicks again to turn back "on" as I think it should. It wasn't the exact breaker but napa let me try it. I'm officially stumped. I hate electrical ****.... I'm just glad this happened with the windows up and my AC works because we're getting a monsoon rain
Old June 23rd, 2016, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...SI%20Brief.pdf

page 12 has a wiring diagram.....if that helps...
Old June 23rd, 2016, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...SI%20Brief.pdf

page 12 has a wiring diagram.....if that helps...
Thanks I'll need that! Someone is telling me it's common for the wires to short out between the door and the body so I guess I got to dig into it and find out. The buzzing sound I'm hearing when I try to put the circuit breaker back in does kind of sound like it could be something shorting or grounding. Can't wait to dig into this one...ugh