Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help! 5.7L just stopped running!

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 5.7L just stopped running!

Help!

I was going to go to the store the other day and only got a couple of miles down the highway when the 5.7L engine in the express van just died.

I mean it felt like it popped out of drive into neutral. No noise, no sputtering, just dead. Will not restart.

I have fuel pump whir and pressure of 60 pounds at the header at the back of the engine.

I have spark out of the coil.

This van has distributor Ignition. The ignition module did not test good at Oreill'y but did test good at Autozone.

When checking the coil output spark I noticed there is no spark when the ignition module is not plugged in, but there is coil spark when it is plugged in.

New cap and rotor made no difference. Needed to be replaced anyway.

I have a Chiltons manual but it doesn't give me any details on the crank or cam sensors or the ignition module. There are four wires to the Ignition module.

Any ideas????
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year? Did you check for codes? Does it crank?

Do you buy gas recently? Is this gasoline in the tank and not some screw-up? Happens a lot in Florida, all the pumps are the same size.

If the Ig Module gives you spark then it is not that. But you have codes in the PCM and do you have fuel in the tank? You have fuel pressure, I guess, but is that gas or water?