Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

HELP!!!!! Fitting a serpentine Belt for a Chevy E 3500 6.5 Ltr Dual A/C

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2016, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!! Fitting a serpentine Belt for a Chevy E 3500 6.5 Ltr Dual A/C

Hello. I recently purchased in Miami from a bus dealer a Chevy 2000 E 3500 6.5LTR Diesel, model 2000, 25 seater bus with Aerotech body. This was shipped to Central America but it appears all is not well! My local mechanic feels that the engine is much older than the 2000 model body and VIN suggests and was possibly changed by the bus dealers? Firstly the fuel filter changed was completely different to the model I had on when changed. We now have a problem finding the correct serpentine belt for this engine which has a dual A/C Compressor, the correct belt (according to VIN) for this 2000 model is too big and the diagram on the air filter does not match the engine layout. I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions to allow me to find a solution to my problem. The bus is for use with an orphanage and at the moment we are not going anywhere fast! Thank you.
Old September 9th, 2016, 4:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

take off the old belt and do a string measure to find its length and width. Then you can check out online.....or at a parts dealer.
Old September 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said: string measure is the way to go.

I found on my 5.7L van, while the diagram is correct, the correct size belt will not go on even when the engine is bare from swapping a water pump. It's just about 1/2" too short even with the tensioner 'flat' below the plane of the belt. Running belts that are 1" longer with no issue thus far.
Old September 11th, 2016, 2:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is on a G 3500? 6.5 diesel would be a correct engine. Dual AC compressor could be a "bus" add on? ... requiring a different belt.