Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

hibeam and lowbeam at same time

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2013, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking hibeam and lowbeam at same time

Hi !!

wana make the hi beam and low beam I Think u call it to work at the same time..as we drive so in sweden at night...anyone knows how I can fix that.
I dont know what relay that makes the lowbeam go of when i start high beam!!
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi sweden.
I don't know what style lights you have, but there might be a couple issues.
The relay might not be able to handle both on at the same time for long.....it might overheat and fail.
The bulb if is the single bulb dual element will get way too hot with both on for more than a few seconds.
My van has the dual light front end, so I have one bulb for low and one for high. When I have my headlights on, and pull back on the turn signal to "flash to pass" It brings on the high beams at the same time as the lows....for as long as you hold back on the turn signal lever.
I have done this on several occasions to see if having the lows on the same is worth it......and I have found that is isn't really. My high beams are excellent, and all the low beams do is add a little more bright to the ground just in front and to the side of the van......not very helpful.
Maybe some aftermarket driving lights would help more, or better bulbs....
Old August 30th, 2013, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Talking Hi and low beam

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Hi sweden.
I don't know what style lights you have, but there might be a couple issues.
The relay might not be able to handle both on at the same time for long.....it might overheat and fail.
The bulb if is the single bulb dual element will get way too hot with both on for more than a few seconds.
My van has the dual light front end, so I have one bulb for low and one for high. When I have my headlights on, and pull back on the turn signal to "flash to pass" It brings on the high beams at the same time as the lows....for as long as you hold back on the turn signal lever.
I have done this on several occasions to see if having the lows on the same is worth it......and I have found that is isn't really. My high beams are excellent, and all the low beams do is add a little more bright to the ground just in front and to the side of the van......not very helpful.
Maybe some aftermarket driving lights would help more, or better bulbs....
Yes my van has also one bulb for low and one for high beam..dont Think its gona get to hot....every european car has low and high beam at the same time!!...but maybe I sholuld put on some extra lights instead!! High beam!!
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this with all my vehicles, but I just cannot figure out how to do it to my van. I found a few threads on the web that supposed says how to do it, but I never did get it to work.

Brew
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Originally Posted by tsbrewers
I have done this with all my vehicles, but I just cannot figure out how to do it to my van. I found a few threads on the web that supposed says how to do it, but I never did get it to work.

Brew
Hi

I Think the problems are that they are using a high and low beam relay..but Im gona try to connect my low beam with my extra lights Im gona put on today...gona tell u if it will work or not...gona connect my low beam with my new relay to the extra lights..and hope that the voltage not will go backwards if u know what I mean...but I Think it should work..cause the relay have only on or off!!
Old September 3rd, 2013, 6:28 AM
CF Active Member

yup, from what I recall, the way to get it to work was to run a jumper from the high relay, to the low relay with a diode in between. But, it didn't work for me so I gave up. My van actually has the best light output of any vehicle I have, so I wasn't too concerned about it.

Brew
Old September 5th, 2013, 2:48 AM
CF Beginner

Talking what plint is the ground on the relay?

Hi
Do u know wich number of the plint on the relay that is the ground..so I dont do anything stupid!!

Best regards Fredric from sweden
Old September 6th, 2013, 7:13 AM
CF Active Member

not sure if you are asking me, but since I couldn't get mine to work, I am probably not the guy to give advise on how to do it. If you look up "bosch relay" on google, it will give you the pin out of the relays.