Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2013, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo

Hey All! Owner of a 2007 Express Cargo and I had a good size piece of paint peel off of my hood last December!

Now I just have a big primer/e-coat spot on my front -

Dealers giving me the "Gravel has chipped your paint and caused your paint to peel"

I've seen gravel chip the paint but it doesn't cause de-lamination ? Paint and primer should be bonded and like one! at least to my non professional view point...

I see a bunch of vans driving around with the same kind of issue...

Also read up on the paint problems from before(90's) with the automotive safety board...link

Anybody else have this going on???

pics?

frustrating...
Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-img_0459.jpg  
Old February 23rd, 2013, 6:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the cause of the gm electrocoat bs that they did for years. I had a 1990 that had paint peeling in the metal vents just below the window wipers...and a few other areas as well..I was lucky.
The only thing to do is strip the hood, reprime and repaint......but if it is happening to you hood its prob happening elsewhere too.
Was there not a huge class action lawsuit over this?
The following users liked this post:
Keaginsdad (August 31st, 2023)
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Chevy Express. I had to have my hood stripped and repainted after half the paint just peeled off. GM has delivered a poor quality paint product.
Old February 27th, 2013, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Post up if you had this problem!

Thanks for your replies...

After two months of back and forth and the dealer first saying that they won't do anything now they say they will pay half after talking to their paint person...not sure how to take this other than, maybe they will comp the whole thing if I push some more?

@Conservative Papa

Did you get GM to help with your repaint?

@Canucklehead

How bout you, did you get any GM benevolence in helping with your peeling paint?

I am concerned about the possibility that other paint will start peeling elsewhere and if it's this bad with all the van's I see driving around with this same issue why isn't there more outrage about it...

If my hood paint job is $600+ what would it cost me to paint my whole van! Maybe this is what I should be pushing for?

The website that I posted the link to before states that if they are unwilling to help then the solution is to take them to small claims court. It is only a hood at this point and I feel being here in California it's almost second nature to go the litigious route but man is that what it takes?

Supposed to be a dealer broadcast from before(90's) telling them to authorize the repair without too much difficulty. Oddly enough the bulletin states up to $650 compensation and my hood comes in just below that. Seems too coincidental to me...

Maybe this needs to go to the news station...it's a slippery slope.

Post up if you had this problem. I could use some ammo to support that my paint should outlast my loan on the vehicle!
Old February 27th, 2013, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

A link to the automotive safety dept. about this problem...

GM | The Center for Autosafety
Old February 28th, 2013, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't even try to contact GM. I had assumed that since I had over 100k miles on the van, and had just turned over 5 years that I would be wasting my time. I may try to hit them up for the paint that is now starting to peel off the roof. However, I am now spot-sanding and repainting the small spots on the roof before they start to peel off like the hood. Did you notice there's no primer under the paint? On top of the metal is some kind of plastic substance (I don't know what) and GM sprayed the paint right on top of that. Kind of like painting a piece of glass. When I wear this van out, I am going to check out Ford.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 90 van used and never bothered with the peeling paint. It was a work van and had some rust....
I have a 2002 express now, and have had no issues at all with the bodywork.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

I guess it's hit or miss whether your paint falls off or not.

@C. P. if you have a receipt from the repainting within 5 years of buying, regardless of mileage I would think that would show proof of a latent paint defect which in tern could be argued that the peeling your seeing now was there the whole time(within the warranty time) and just recently was made obvious. ??

Had a 2005 pull in behind me at the gas station with a similar peeling paint...

but his paint had started peeling at the front corners as well. Attached a couple pics...

Should be hearing from the regional people pretty soon...see what they say.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-img_0497.jpg   Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-img_0498.jpg  
Old March 9th, 2013, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Well, regional is just another mouth piece of the dealer. Unbelievable the quality of assistance you get in customer service these days...I want those 20 minutes of my life back!

Options;

~1/2 price paint and prep of hood - $340

~New primed hood - $120

~Paint for new hood or personally prepped old hood - $??? getting quotes???

~Used hood in white from salvage yard - $60

~Get the whole van painted and send the bill to GM/Chevy with a small claims court addendum - 4K-5K + lost work and efforts

Could use some voice of reason here peeps...

suggestions?

Thx in advance...
Old March 10th, 2013, 7:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The $340 at Maaco should do the job...

Quick Reply: Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo