Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes u can include me in on a class action suit
Old November 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our white conversion van has it on the hood and the area where the roof meets the windshield.
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

I just received a call from GM customer service 1866-790-5600 and was told my 2007 Chevy van was out of warranty after 36 months so nothing can be done for me. I received the call because I sent a copy of the center for auto safety GM report dated jan 2001. I guess they figured they would call and let me know I'm not covered. Maybe calling this number above and telling your story's could change their coverage. I'm going to have my hood painted by a private body shop and maybe one day I'll get reimbursed. Lol
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Just to let everyone with paint falling off know that GM rep told me if u r out of warranty nothing will be done for u. The rep was firm on her stance and basically said fix it yourself just like if something else breaks or fail on your vehicle after warranty u fix it yourself. Paint is the same thing. Unreal. I told her I would never buy another GM product.she didn't seem to care.
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.k., so they say fix it just like any other part that would break out of warranty, but I have never owned a vehicle where the paint just cracks and peels by pieces. I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna that has retained the paint way better than the 2004 Express. When you buy a vehicle you do expect to maintain it and make repairs, but paint is supposed to fade, not fall off and expose the metal to rust.

I have three friends who own the same vans and they are all worse than mine. This problem happens to every single Express or Savannah I see on the road! That's like saying the muffler on every van will fall off after 4 years. Are they still not responsible for putting out a bad product just because its out of the warranty period? The problem is not that it is happening, the problem is that they are turning a blind eye to it. I am a die hard Chevrolet fan and rather have a Chevy cargo van 10 times over a Ford one, but they need to stand by their product.

I think its time to start using social media to bring this to their attention. I will be posting my video and hope all of you do as well.

Last edited by aroque; November 13th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

My 2002 3500 Express Cargo Van paint started delaminating in January 2011. It cost me $800 to have one of the rear doors repainted. The body shop informed me then the top part of the van was peeling... you should see it now.

It only has 25,000 miles... I ordered it new with a 8.1L Vortec, its still in mint condition with exception to the paint peeling. I took it to the dealer last December.. all they did was take pictures. Never got back to me in terms of GM pitching in on repainting.

I need to have the entire van taken down to the ePrimer and resprayed.

What a cluster, that's probably going to cost me $10K. The van is still new otherwise.

I wish I could sue them for the poor workmanship.

The following users liked this post:
Jeanie Glass (April 4th, 2021)
Old November 26th, 2013, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Here's a pic of my rear door. After two weeks of rain, water got behind the paint and it filled up like a water balloon. As I was coming out of the driveway, I saw this weird bubble on the door, got out of my Jeep, touched it and it popped.

$800 to remove the door, window, hardware, strip and repaint, and then reinstall and align the door.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevy-express_dentess.jpg  

Last edited by C6DNA; January 5th, 2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

All I can say is unless there is a class action suit or I sue by myself GM will do nothing for my paint peeling problems because my van is past it's 3 year warranty. They have told me this after I went thru the whole 9 yards of trying to fix my paint job. They don't care
Old November 27th, 2013, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Pretty much says it right here ... 2002 Express Van Warranty. I'm probably going to have mine stripped and repainted - especially since I only have 25K miles and I ordered it loaded up with a 496ci big block.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo-2002-chevy-warrranty.jpg  
Old December 5th, 2013, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

I sent GM a email assuring them I would never fix the ugly green spots on my hood in order to continue advertising their quality of work. Maybe if enough people let their paint fall off and leave it that way GM will respond. Does anybody know anyone who has had GM repaint their van?

Quick Reply: Hood Paint Peeling 07' cargo